Audiophile Corner

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Georgel, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Token CDN

Token CDN Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Too much power… that's adorable!
    Seriously, the X2 are fairly easy to drive, but they really do benefit from having some power behind them (I'd say that's true for most phones). I use my pair with a Vali2 amp and it really helps with the authority and control of the bass. I also have a Little Bear P1 - which is serious overkill power wise, and it does the same thing in the bass range - only more so.

Georgel likes this.
  2. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Im not an audiophile (obviously), just a guy who hates headsets (always breaking) and/or crappy headphones.

So my peripheral knowledge in this area is vague at best :p I thought I read if you have too much power it causes noise in the audio and I read that as static?

Though after looking further into the Burson it looks to be a good pair to the Fidelio's or any other 30Ohm phones.

The last ripple I have though is the Ranger, my laptop. With RealTek Audio at the helm it causes what ever it determines to be the primary application to have normal audio, while everything else gets reduced to 60ish% audio levels. Its why I have desired to replace with a USB "Sound card" so I could replace the audio source.

I am also familiar with Virtual Audio Cable and this didnt seem to change anything since the underlying source is still RealTek T-T. Its why I was looking at the SoundblasterX G6

Token CDN and Georgel like this.
  3. Georgel

Georgel Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You can't overpower them unless you go too loud with the volume wheel, but then you're going to blow your hearing, that's what too much power means :)

The idea of too much power applies when you give something too much Voltage or too much Current, relative to each other.

Over Voltage with not enough current will sound kinda flabby, distorted, and kinda like you're hitting a wet barrel with a drum, the sound will have dynamics but not control

Over current can make the sound too forceful and impactful, but lack dynamics and feel buttery, too dry. This is extremely rare and you're most probable to give something too much voltage and not enough current, this happens when you increase volume, but the device has poor current, voltage gives volume.

Usually, having both good voltage and good current gives the most vivid, engaging sound.

Burson Play is like an excellent balance, I tested like 20-30 DAC/AMPs, Burson Play impressed me for 200 USD a LOT :)

No issue with too much power :)

Burson is a good pair for anything really, including 3000 USD Kennerton Thror, but also for 30 USD IEMs from KZ or Tin Audio, the Burson Play is like the most versatile desktop DAC/AMP you can get for 200 USD. I think it will serve you for a long time. BTW, it is full class A, so it has the best sound it can, but it gets warm to the touch while it is turned on, even if no music is playing, don't be shocked by that.

Token CDN likes this.
  4. TheReciever

Reputations:
    But it doesnt act as its own source in Windows correct? Is there something out in the ether I can use as just a sound card without the amp, since the Burson or something equivalent would do the "work"?

5. Georgel

Reputations:
    It becomes your DAC / AMP, it is the soundcard (?)

You even have RCA outputs on the back if you want to connect another AMP, or a large speaker AMP :)

6. TheReciever

Reputations:
    No, unless I'm mistaken a windows pc will not see dac/amps at all.

7. Georgel

Reputations:
    I'm on a Windows PC, it shows up as the main soundcard, you just need a driver and to select it from the audio settings :)

8. Token CDN

Reputations:
    The more recent versions of Windows do finally have USB2 audio support so most devices will be supported without additional drivers. You may lose out on some of the functionality though. Things like higher sample rates, DSD support, even ASIO will probably need additional drivers, but my experience is it's mostly painless getting set up (but I also have driver sig. and secure boot disabled, so that helps).
    After you get Windows to see the device then it's just a matter of selecting it as default in the audio control panel/ Windows settings

Georgel likes this.
  9. TheReciever

Reputations:
    My main goal is to replace the Realtek drivers.

So your saying if I get something for example the Burson play, it shows as such in windows? Bypassing whatever solution that is on board for volume control?

Can you show like a small snippet of that on your task manager? That would allay any doubts altogether lol

Georgel likes this.
  10. Token CDN

Reputations:
    I'm not sure if anything relevant shows in the task manager, but if you go into the sound control panel, you'll see something like this…
    [​IMG]
    In this case I haven't bothered to disable the onboard audio, but it can be done with just a right click. With this laptop, there aren't even drivers for the crappy onboard SST audio for Win.7, so if I want to use that OS then I have no choice but to go with a USB device.
    Hope this answers your question

Georgel likes this.