Audiophile Corner

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Georgel, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Georgel

Georgel Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  2. Georgel

Reputations:
  3. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    So my shp9500's are starting to fall apart on me, the clips holding the pads broke and the pads themselves are well worn. Been using them everyday for 2-3 years now so I guess I got my monies worth from the old budget king.

I was thinking of getting the creative Soundblaster 6 with some sennheiser 599's. Seems like the appropriate step up from what I had but was curious what you guys think of it.

Georgel likes this.
  4. Georgel

Reputations:
    What's your maximum budget?

The thing is, SHP9500 are a more neutral-ish to V-Shaped headphone, 599 might feel too thick, too warm, and veiled, not detailed enough and like the bass isn't enough, if you're coming from something like SHP9500, that one was really really good.

For upgrading the soundcard, I'd recommend checking out FiiO K3 if you don't need many bells and whistles, it should be considerably more clear and detailed than Soundblaster 6

TheReciever likes this.
  5. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Thing is, I also desire to replace the Windows driver on the Ranger as for what ever reason it gives priority and lowers volume of everything else. So its a multipurpose desire.

I want to keep it around 150 USD or so. Not looking to go diving in as you can really spend some money on good set of cans. I use the SHP9500 with HM5 pads as well, so Im used to thicker pads if thats what you're referring to. The bass is actually a bit of the weak point in the SHP9500, though Im not crazy about it most of the time, I just add a bit of Bass via windows

That Fiio K3 does look nice though lol

Georgel likes this.
  6. Georgel

Reputations:
    fiiO K3 as a source will serve you much better I'd imagine

If you want more bass than SPH 9500 , I'd say to check out something like... Urgh... I'd go with something like Ultrasone DJ One Pro. It won't be nowehre near as comfortable, but it should be a step up sonically. Should also be possible to find them for a good price, since it is an old model and may go often on sale :)

TheReciever likes this.
  7. Token CDN

Token CDN Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Not sure if it's your thing, but there's an open box Fidelio X2HR on Newegg for $170 right now.

If you don't want to chance a open box purchase and aren't in a hurry, I'd still keep an eye on Newegg - they've had some good sales on the X2HR lately. I've got a non-HR X2 (apparently the only difference is the earpad and headband material) and I'd highly recommend them

Georgel and TheReciever like this.
  8. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Yeah I'm not in any rush, I may not get anything at all until I'm back in Korea as they have a few shops where you can just hook up your phone and play music through the cans.

That said I may pick up a dac, who knows the shp9500 don't have high impedence so probably wouldn't be much use until I get something else later...

Thanks for lookin out, I'll take a look at that when I get home from work today.

Georgel likes this.
  9. Georgel

Reputations:
    That is excellent advice!

If you have 200 USD to drop on somehting that could last you years, it would be Burson Play as far as DAC/AMPs go. That can drive pretty much anything :)

10. TheReciever

Reputations:
    The Burson play looks awesome but if I paired that with the Fidelio wouldnt it be too much power?

I like the Fidelio's and considering how well the SHP9500 has served me the thought of supporting Phillips still is a rather pleasing option so thanks for the recommendation. Im going to sit on this and if its still there after Friday then ill snag a pair.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    Georgel likes this.