Audio Workstation PC laptop recommendation please

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by DWJames, Jun 19, 2020.

1. DWJames

DWJames Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, I'm looking for a powerful PC laptop for a music production workstation.

1) What is your budget?
    up to $3,000

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    Desktop Replacement Workstation size; 16" or 17" screen
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    UK

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    No
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    Yes

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Music production - Audio workstation using Bitwig DAW on Windows 10 will be 95% of the use, other 5% is video editing. It is important to me that this is powerful with good single thread performance, something like i7 10th gen, but as quiet as possible most of the time, so good cooling is super important.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Very occasional travel, otherwise always left in the studio, so I don't mind if it's big and heavy.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook?
    No, don't care about games performance at all

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    1+ hour will be fine

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Online is fine

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows 10

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    1080p

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    Matte screen. I occasionaly film it and don't want reflections.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    I prefer simple looks, but the function is more important. I would prefer a thick and heavy laptop if this means that the cooling is better and it will be quieter.

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    1tb main OS SSD + 1 more internal drive.

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    ASAP

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    2 years

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    2 weeks

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    Shipping is ok.

2. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    A Dell Precision Mobile Workstation, an HP ZBook, or a Lenovo ThinkPad P-series would be best though they're pricey. They're all excellent quality, I'd pick the HP if I was in that situation mostly due to personal preference for their designs and keyboards.

I don't see why a gaming notebook wouldn't work for what you want to do. The thicker ones, like the MSI GE series, have better cooling than the thin and light models. They should be a lot cheaper than the workstation notebooks, too.

Don't be afraid to upgrade the memory/storage aftermarket if it means saving some money. Those kind of upgrades won't void your warranty.

Charles