Audi owner had his car taken home over the weekend by dealer mechanic

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by Tsunade_Hime, Aug 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
  2. Aeny

Aeny Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I wouldn't be surprised if that happens more. I learned the hard way not to just leave a car at a dealership.

Back around 2007ish we bought a second hand, very low mileage BMW 630i convertible at an official BMW dealer. The car was currently at a dealer right over the border in Germany so there was some paperwork involved. They kept telling us that there was something wrong with the paperwork and we waited for weeks. Meanwhile one of our buddies that lived a few streets away from the dealer thought he spotted the car we described to him, he said he thought someone from the garage was driving it around. After going to the dealer to demand our car we found it sitting there, it had a very light colored interior, apparently the sales manager that had been driving it had been chain smoking in it, the interior had a layer of smoke over it, as if the car had been standing by an open fire with the top down.
    We were not amused, sadly all we got out of it was a free cleaning of the whole car. Apparently there was more going on at that dealership and shortly after the whole staff got replaced. We asked to get some sort of refund for the extra mileage but this was denied. Being tired of all the messing around and just wanting the car we paid for already we just took it home.

Our 20 year old Mercedes has been taken on a test drive before by a mechanic to his home for lunch, but he asked nicely first and a test drive was needed to fully diagnose the problem anyways. But a weekend? No way..
    ~Aeny

3. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    I quit taking my vehicles to stealerships years ago. I don't even like the monkeys to touch them for warranty or recall issues. Last time the '08 Dodge was in for a recall they bent the crap out of my radiator fins and got grease all over the interior.

4. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I've had some horrible experiences with mechanics/shops. I've just resorted to purchasing a new car and babying it, and fortunately I was able to.

Regular maintenance is done by myself. If I don't know how to do something, I research the heck out of it until I figure it out, but that's rare with regular maintenance.

5. Splintah

Splintah Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I would have sued and I don't say that often

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

6. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    As scary as this is, such a thing is not unheard of in the world of auto repair.

I've known plenty of mechanics who took customers vehicles home "for extended drives to ensure the defects were fixed".

7. Tsunade_Hime

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

If you ever have to change the thermostat in a B5/B6 Audi, pretty much the engine comes out. There are just some things left to the actual dealer to do, especially if the car is under any sort of warranty. Not to talk about VERY specialized equipment to fix alot of German cars, heck BMW/Benz batteries are $$$ because they are a special dry-cell battery and have to be programmed and are specialized because of all the sensitive electronics.

8. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Something that extensive I obviously wouldn't be doing at home... I said "regular maintenance" a couple times.

9. KCETech1

KCETech1 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I must be lucky then. when I take the Dodge truck in for maintenance etc, part of the reason I do is they ask if I want my garbage cleaned out and a fast detail and wash...... no charge.

however a few other stealerships ...... not so nice to me as I am of the female variety and supposedly clueless

10. Tsunade_Hime

Reputations:
    Ah well I guess our terms of regular maintenance must differ (timing belt, water pump, thermostat I would consider regular vs like a complete engine rebuild). Yeah I'll be changing the oil in my car once it is out of warranty. The new Subaru FA/FB boxer engines have the oil filter on the top, very nice thinking from them. I've seen dealers have a nasty habit of during a recall for something, and you did not get the car serviced by an authorized dealer, they have a nasty habit of denying your recall coverage (like Mazda's CX-7 with the horrible sludge problems, dead turbo with the 2.3L DI turbo engine).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.