Audi A4 opinions please

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by Fishon, Sep 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    This is the exact vehicle I'm looking at.

New 2011 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sport C300 - Mercedes-Benz of Escondido - San Diego, Oceanside, El Cajon, Southern California dealership

The pre-owned at 27k and they are now offering the new at 38k. Options with the new verse pre-owned is approx 4k and include the P1 package. The used has 20k mileage. Factoring in the mileage the pre-owned obviously is a better value...but? Again, serious thanks for all the input. Most probably, it's going to be one or the other.

http://daveknowscars.com/2010/11/06...ackage-options-and-pricing-c-class-2008-2011/

2. booboo12

booboo12 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    i 2nd this idea, a lot of people don't consider Cadillac, but they've come a long way.

between the two you mentioned though Fishon, I'd go with the Mercedes, as I like the interior more than the 3 series. At least consider CTS though. :)

let us know what you get regardless

3. KLF

KLF NBR Super Modernator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I don't know about prices there but here Cadillac CTS is apparently more expensive than Audi A6.

4. booboo12

booboo12 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    im not sure if theres a plant in europe that assembles the CTS for that market, perhaps thats why?

Here, the CTS competes with 3 series and c class, the STS technically goes against the midsize A6, E-class, and 5 series.

35,345 for a base CTS, 34,600 for a base 3 series (remember though that a base 3 is pretty stripped), and a base c class is 38k. (some parts of mbusa.com say 34 is the starting price, but i cant find any non 4matic trims on the configurator,

5. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    Have you considered a used Infiniti M35/M45? Pretty nice cars, cheap now. Beats out E500, BMW 5 series offerings, Lexus GS offerings in testing.

6. KLF

Reputations:
    The subtle differences. Here those are generally considered as big cars :D

I've spent good deal of my work hours today to find out current price for CTS but unsuccesfully. Latest price was 53500 EUR (~75000 USD) for 2008 model. 5k EUR more than 2011 A6 starts from.

That's also 13k EUR (18k USD) more than 2011 A4 quattro (40k EUR), 20k EUR more than FWD (33k EUR) A4. Those are starting prices, bigger engines and options have a nasty habit to rise prices a lot.

I know, the prices here are insane :( It doesn't help if there's only one domestic car factory, those aren't going to add the competition :p

7. X2P

X2P COOLING | NBR Super Mod

Reputations:
    Ya the A6 etc are considered midsize on the verge of large but didn't quite make it in North America, same with the STS which is their "technical" competition here.

Just to double check are you checking the CTS or the CTS-V? The price for a brand new 2011 CTS-V is 74 990 euros. Anyways this doesnt really help Fishon though as he is in So-Cal.

8. KLF

Reputations:
    I really tried, no luck. 2009+ CTS-V doesn't exist here :(

2008 Cadillac CTS 2,8 V6 / 3,6 V6 4WD
    EUR: 59 390 / 73 490

Those are the only prices I can find, last two years apparently there is no Cadillac sold as new. CTS-V would suffer huge price jump here as cars in general are heavily taxed. A prime example is new RS5, price tag is 141k including only 48k worth of taxes. CTS-V would be around same I'm afraid.

Off-topic is always fun :p My vote is still for quattro A4, then perhaps the BMW.

9. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    This vehicle is now on top of the list:

Details of Used 2010 Audi A4, Santa Monica, CA - Yahoo! Autos

Most concerned about the upkeep expenses and long term quality with the A4 compared either a 3 series or C 300. You guys have pointed out a front wheel drive vehicle would cost a little more to fix because it's so crowded under the hood. Also, I've heard there is less fixing and more replacing of parts with and Audi compared to the others. The new A4's have a shorter tract record as well.

Thank you for the Infiniti, Subaru, VW, and Cadillac recommendations, however, it's between the A4 and C 300 now. Never did I expect such solid help and input from you all.

Yesterday we took a break from the car shopping and took a 200+ mile ride to the desert in the rain. Good place to take a step back and relax on this purchase.

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=407

10. Thaenatos

Thaenatos Zero Cool

Reputations:
    I had a 1999.5 a4 1.8t quattro loaded. It was a great car, but after driving a newer version I was less impressed as the car drove itself and was no fun to thrash around.

But my 1999.5 was great for ripping backroads, driving through snow and taking 2-4 people to the slopes for skiing (ski package is a must have!).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.