ATTENTION! Potential Flaw with ALL XPS 15 9560 - GPU Throttling!

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Pete Light, Mar 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rockstar75

Rockstar75 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    So here come my results :) I ran OCCT for about 15min with maximum performance setting. CPU stays at 3,4Ghz. Ambient is around 22°C. I repasted with CLU so I´m really interested in your temps, too :) I undervolted by -120mV CPU/Cache and -100mV iGPU and padded my mosfets (not the chokes) if it matters.
    In the end the CPU is at 71°C (funny thing is that the fans ran at 3000rpm for 10min w/ 74°C CPU and started to kick in to get temps down to steady 71°C). VRM is at a steady 64°C in the end. These temps were stable for the last 5min. No throttling. I didn´t change any Settings in OCCT, just installed and let it run.

Let us know your results!

2. Pete Light

Pete Light Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    And there is no major overheating issue preventing you from extreme gaming with a little work under the hood!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

3. Pete Light

Reputations:
    Agreed and to add to that. 45-60FPS in BF1 at ultra settings in 1080p isn't too low or shabby! :D

4. Althernai

Althernai Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Because the Alienware is huge, heavy and, like almost every other machine with a GTX 10X0, comes with the "gaming" style. The XPS is one of very few laptops that has a GTX 10X0, a nice display and also looks professional.

lewdvig and Pete Light like this.
  5. Pete Light

Reputations:
    Yep that's why I have one so I can game on both and do work! Good options! :D

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  6. Pete Light

Reputations:
    Thanks and very good job! I ran OCCT for 30 mins, max perf and CPU was rock solid at 3.4GHz and I have evidence (see below :p). Ambient is also 22C and I repasted with Grizzly Conductonaut and used Fujipoly Extreme 14w/mK on the GPU VRAMs. My undervolt is -130mV on CPU/cache using XTU and graphics is -70mV. I repadded the 6 Chokes (2x1.5mm Arctic 6w/mK pads) nearest to the CPU as well as slight bending of HS arms and 2x1.5mm Arctic 6w/mK pads on top of the CPU and GPU HS (more pressure pushing down when case is screwed down but pads are nice a squishy also).
    In the end the CPU is 72C (Max fans are only <4kRPM COME ON DELL WE NEED FULL CONTROL OF THESE) and VRM max Ambient was 65C.

I'd be interested to see evidence of your 0 throttling (I.e. OCCT CPU Frequency #0 will do or HWINFO showing 4GHz average with minimum value on all cores of 4GHz like mine below), here's mine:

[​IMG]

and heres w'hat I mean by the chokes (only 3 out of 6 done in this picture):

[​IMG]

What's your max BF1 game temps on CPU and CPU? Whats your Firestrike score and max temps on GPU for that?

pressing and Rockstar75 like this.
  7. Rockstar75

Rockstar75 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Interesting, you just padded the chokes not the mosfets, right? I made the experience that padding both raises my temps so I decided to put the pads off the chokes. Our temps seem to be quite similar.
    I just thought of taking a screenshot after shuting down the benchmark and replying to the forum :) But I´ll do later.
    Sorry for BF1 as I don´t own/have it. I put my Firestrike scores in the spreadsheet of Philaphlous...wait a moment...back: 5887 with CPU/GPU at 64/67°C.

Pete Light likes this.
  8. Pete Light

Reputations:
    Yep again pretty comparable. Nice work. Just working on best FS score :D

9. Rockstar75

Rockstar75 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    O.K. I ran the test again and took a screenshot. Still no throttling. I set the PL1 Limit to 50W w/ XTU as a little tweak and wanted to test.
    OCCT 2.png

Another funny thing is, that I played Watch Dogs 2 yesterday w/ GPU +200Mhz and Memory +240 Mhz for testing purpose. It throttled quite fast before (PL1 limit) but was still playable. After about 20min I checked and saw no throttling, CPU at 70°C GPU 70°C and VRM 90°C!!! Before it stayed quite a while around 88-89°C. It didn´t throttle. I took quite a lot screenshots to Show but have to put them together when I got the time. I´m quite happy right now, because it seems to work to overclock (which I will reset) and to avoid throttling by tweaking a little bit :)

10. Pete Light

Reputations:
    Ok thanks this is much more informative. I can see from your core averages and minimums that there is actually quite a lot of throttling and all the way down to 800MHz on all four cores which is actually a very heavy throttle! Which is of course why your temperatures are so low (they are never given the chance to work at maximum clock for long enough)

But so long as your happy it doesn't matter!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.