Ativ Book 8 teardown guide / Keyboard replacement - LOTS OF PICS

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by matt9882, Aug 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. matt9882

matt9882 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    EDIT AND IMPORTANT NOTE:

It is IMPOSSIBLE to replace the keyboard fully on this laptop without cutting plastic and potentially doing more harm than good. I fully recommend buying the full upper unit if you need to replace your keyboard - this guide is now a teardown and key-cap replacement only.

Alright guys, so I'm in the process of tearing apart my Ativ Book 8 and replacing the silver keyboard for a black one I picked up off ebay. I have most of it apart, but can't figure out how to get the stock silver keyboard out - it seems to be plastic-welded in. I'll start a teardown guide in the next post. It will start out as mostly pictures (it's getting late here) but I'll have instructions added in soon.

Here's the keyboard I picked up off ebay, btw:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
    Dannemand and John Ratsey like this.
  2. matt9882

Reputations:
    Here's a quick teardown guide. I'm going to add graphics eventually, but I've seen a few requests for this guide in my own travels, so I figured I'd make one myself.

First, a few general shots. Make sure you're opening up the same laptop as I am here, and I reccomend use of an anti-static mat and strap for this, as you'll be dealing with a lot of exposed PCB.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Close the lid and flip the laptop over. There are 11 Phillips head screws to remove on the underside: 4 on the edge near the hinge, 3 running down the middle from left to right (including one for the RAM cover) and 4 on the front edge. They are all the same screw.
    [​IMG]

Once you remove the screws, pry up the RAM cover. It, like most of this laptop, is held in with plastic tabs in addition to screws. I use an iFixit pro tech toolkit, but any thin prying device will work:
    [​IMG]

If you have installed a RAM upgrade (as you will notice below, I have) remove and store your RAM somewhere safe:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now for the fun part. Starting with one of the corners of the machine, get your prying device in between the bottom casing and top casing (you'll notice a seam that runs along the bottom of your input ports) as shown:
    [​IMG]

Start to carefully pry up along the perimeter of the case:
    [​IMG]

Please note - There are tabs between EACH AND EVERY input port. If you rush it, you may crack the case or break a port. Look a few pictures up near the RAM slot to see what I'm talking about. That crack was from an earlier SSD upgrade when I just got a corner up and then tried to pry the whole thing open with my hands. Slow and steady is the name of the game here.
    [​IMG]

This is the inside of the bottom case - notice all the tabs around the peremiter of the casing. Please be especially careful around the hinge area, it's an easy area to forget about. Take the bottom off and keep it to the side.
    [​IMG]

You're now left with an exposed motherboard, cooling solution, battery and hard drive (or SSD if you've already upgraded).
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  3. matt9882

Reputations:
    Reserved
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. matt9882

Reputations:
  5. matt9882

Reputations:
  6. matt9882

Reputations:
    Before I start writing the guide, I have three questions for those that frequent dissassembly of laptops:

1. There were two stickers on the GPU and CPU, which had TIM under them. I removed them to get rid of the extra TIM, is this bad?
    2. I originally was taking this apart because I wanted to change the keyboard. I ordered a replacement off ebay (and see plenty of replacements all over the web) but I can't seem to get the current keyboard out of the frame. Thoughts? It looks like there are plastic rivets (for lack of a better word) holding the front frame onto that back aluminum piece. I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to get them off without destroying them.
    3. There was a black membrane under the mobo - between it and the keyboard frame. I had to peel it off to see if there were screws holding the frame and keyboard together, and destroyed it in the process. Is it safe to put the machine back together without this membrane? Do you think it's just heat shielding, or could it be a non-conductive material there to prevent shorts...?

7. useless guru

useless guru Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    No need to replace the keyboard. Just replace the key caps one by one.

8. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    1. Can you post a zoomed in photo or two to illustrate your question 1?

2. You have discovered the reason why the Samsung part (if you can find it) is the complete keyboard / keyboard surround / palmrest unit. Whoever designed this didn't think make it easy to replace only the keyboard. So you will have to cut / drill out those rivets and then glue the replacement keyboard into place.

3. I would think that the membrane is probably to prevent the risk of electrical shorts.

John

9. matt9882

Reputations:
    1. You can see the clear, plastic sticker around the GPU Die towards the upper left corner of the mobo. The CPU sticker is the black plastic piece that looks to be surrounding the CPU die near the bottom middle of the picture:
    [​IMG]

2. I found it, but I don't want a full black surround. I think I may just remove keycaps and replace them that way - hoping not to break anything in the process. If anyone has any advice, feel free to send it my way.

3. Any idea on where I can get a new one / what to use to make a replacement? You can see it poking out from behind the left edge of the mobo in the above picture, I removed it without taking any actual pictures of it though. I want to put this back together this afternoon, but don't want to do it without that membrane replaced.

10. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    1. I wonder if the bits of plastic are to reduce the risk of the thermal paste getting on to (and shorting out) other electronics.

3. I am unable to recommend a particular type of plastic sheet but if I were in your situation I would be searching my house for something similar.

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.