ATIV Book 6 "Light Gaming Edition" (NP680Z5E) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by ryanlecocq, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Worzyl

Worzyl Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Have you noticed any difference in battery usage when you deactivate the touchscreen?

In regards to Lenovo - people have been swapping the screens with better ones and it's been proven to have great results.

2. JRL485

JRL485 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello - first time post. Looking for ideas on solving problem of my LCD screen and plastic lid becoming seemingly unglued. It is occurring on both sides and becoming worse with time (i.e. starting to reach top corners). I suspect the hinge design failed and caused pressure on other parts of the screen. The bezel/screen/lid seem to be one piece so is a fix possible, or will the entire display assembly need replacing? I have the X01US model, if it makes a difference. Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]

3. JRL485

JRL485 Newbie

Reputations:
    Another look.

[​IMG]

4. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The hinges are usually fixed with screws (which may have worked loose) but the bezel may be glued.

I would try to completely remove the bezel and check if the screws are OK. If the holes are oversized then repair with glue (superglue is quick but slow setting epoxy has better strength) before refixing the bezel with Uhu or similar.

John

5. JRL485

JRL485 Newbie

Reputations:
    John - thanks for the response. I'm not sure I follow your suggestion. There isn't a traditional bezel that can be 'popped' off; the entire front of the display is a clear screen. Are you suggesting I pull and unglue the bezel?

6. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    After looking at the photos a second time I'm not sure whether I can follow my previous instructions either.:eek: it's unclear whether there is a significant front bezel or whether the complete touchscreen is clipped / glued into the display back.

It's probably a matter of carefully accelerating the disassembly process which appears to be occuring naturally. I'm sure there will be some screws in there which fix the hinges to something and most likely these are loose. Otherwise, it's a matter of glueing everything together. If you eventually decide to replace the display then it's most likely a complete hinge/display/lid unit which you just reconnect to the chassis.

John

7. jack53

jack53 Samsung ATIV Book 6 Lover!

Reputations:
    I just ordered this model off eBay for $400
    http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/pcs/NP680Z5E-X01US-specs
    ATIV Book 6 15.6in. TouchScreen 1TB, Intel Core i7 3rd Gen., 2.4GHz, 8GB, NP680Z5E-X01US

In mint shape in the ad... I will see when it gets here in a few days. This is my 5th Samsung notebook over the years and I loved them all.

Quick question. The 8GB memory from factory, is that soldered in? The user manual only shows one memory slot and that is kind of unusual as most laptops have at least two memory slots.

I will be visiting here a quite a bit once the laptop gets here as first thing besides adding more memory and a SSD, I also want to install Win 10.

Oh, in case any of you are wondering, the Lenovo in my sig & avatar quit working on me, can't seem to fix it after several months, so finally gave up. Thought it was a bad MB, got a new one and that wasn't it. Very expensive brick.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  8. jack53

Reputations:
    Anybody?

The 8GB memory installed from factory, is that soldered in? Or is that in 1 slot in back? User manual only shows one memory slot and that is kind of unusual as most laptops have at least two memory slots.

9. jack53

Reputations:
    I answered my own question. Went to the Samsung site for specs and got this:

RAM
    • Memory Speed
      1600 MHz
    • Memory Specification Compliance
      PC3-12800
    • Configuration Features
      provided memory is soldered
    • Technology
      DDR3 SDRAM
    • Installed Size 8 GB
    And here:
    http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/pcs/NP680Z5E-X01US-specs
    it says:

SYSTEM MEMORY
    System Memory
    8GB
    Memory Configuration 8GB x 1 (On Board)
    Memory Type DDR3 (1600MHz)
    Max. System Memory 16GB
    Number of Slots 1
    RAMaccelerator Yes

I'm presuming that means soldered.

Notebook Check makes it even clearer:
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Samsung-ATIV-Book-6-Touch-680Z5E-X01US-Notebook.103287.0.html

RAM is provided by a single 8 GB PC3-12800 DDR3 module, which is soldered onto the motherboard. One slot is open, however, so the notebook can be expanded to 16 GB total

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  10. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Moderator

Reputations:
    That is the problem, the way they word things seem rough. Couldn't just word it as non-removable etc..