ATI LCD color adjustment tips...

Discussion in 'LG' started by MWP, Sep 16, 2005.

1. MWP

MWP Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi all,

For a "multimedia" laptop, the LW70's (and probably LG laptops) LCD color balance is absolutley shocking.

Compare it next to a good PC LCD monitor and youll see what i mean.

To fix this, i used the ATI color control panel to change the red/green/blue brightness, contrast and gamma levels.

These are the settings i now use (gamma, brightness, contrast in that order):
    Red: 1.00, 0, 100
    Green: 1.10, 0, 80
    Blue: 1.00, 5, 36

Blue is the real problem with these LCDs... its far too bright and is not linear.

With these settings windows will look like it has a shade of red compared to defualt levels, but compare it with a good LCD and youll see its much better.

Doing this also fixed the eye-strain problems i was having.

Let me know what you guys think!

2. AuroraS

AuroraS Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    These color settings are quite interesting.
    I've been having some eyestrain problems with my ASUS M6Ne, so I decided to give your color settings a try.

I must admit... they are quite nice. I'll try them out for a while longer and see how they work...

Good work.

3. Xplodin

Xplodin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    MWP-
    I must admit i didnt like the colour change at first but i've gotten use to it now and yeah Great! I'm all for it. should have posted this in the Hardware section of the forum. good work MWP! :D

4. MWP

MWP Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks guys :)
    Good to see you like it also.

The main reason i went to the trouble of doing this is because i do photographic work on this Laptop (ie, editing photos taken with my digital camera).

5. qwester

qwester Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I had never noticed how blue my screen was before this! WOW
    I like my screen colors to be tending a bit towards cooler tones, but this is too much, I knew my screen was bluish but not that much! :(

But I think these settings make the white a bit yellowish on my screen. How did you do the calibration? I think if I tweak your settings a bit I can end up with a correct spectrum.

[EDIT]: 2 observations after using the new settings for a few minutes:
    1- I noticed that my lateral/horizontal viewing angle has decreased. The colors on the farther edge of the screen turn yellowish at a smaller angle now.

2- I now feel the need to increase my screen my brightness. Used to work at 5/8, now I am using 6/8 to get the same relative brightness.

Anyone with simillar observations?

My screen aint that perfect afterall :(

6. coriolis

coriolis Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Doesn't work for me!!!

ATI tray tools keeps locking up my notebook

7. qwester

Reputations:
    I did it with the regular color control that comes by default with the drivers. Does ATI tray tools disable it?

Are you using regular or modified drivers? Might wanna try Omega (I use them but don't install the tray tools)

8. coriolis

coriolis Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I'm using Omega..

The Tray tools always freeze up my laptop..

The only reason I used Omega was the stock drivers did the same thing, locks up the laptop

edit: Actually it works now after getting 5.9 but I get errors when I use Ati Tray tools, EVEN THOUGH ITS on, and shown in the bottom right. I can't left click it because it will give me a error popup but I can right click it though...

It just stopped working now....hmm..

edit2: It doesnt work for me, some reason it gets worse..

9. qwester

Reputations:
    You mean the colors look worse? I took the liberty of removing your extra post ;)

BTW I have been using the these setting for a few hours now. Working with text. It all looks nicer. I never had any eye strain problems before, so no improvement there.
    I gotta try these new settings with movies and games later on. But I still think its just a little bit to yellowish now .. maybe some more tweaking!

Forgot to thank you MWP earlier, so here it goes, thank you :cool:

10. AuroraS

AuroraS Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:

I also agree that I have to turn the brightness up a little more...but by doing so, the brightness doesn't hurt my eyes as much as it used to (blue is harsh against the eyes and causes eye strain...)
    Overall I'm quite satisfied with these color settings.