ASUS ZEPHYRUS S GX531GS Owner’s Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by LeoNivorous, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Your NB has one USB 3.1 Gen2 Type-C with DP 1.2 port, this should provide you with VR connectivity.
    Also, this NB is advertised to have VR capability.
    https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ROG-Zephyrus-S-GX531/Tech-Specs/
    upload_2019-5-26_9-24-42.png

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  2. majster msi

majster msi Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi. I swapped my 512gb hdd for 1TB , I made a copy of esupport. After fresh installation of win10 I started to install all drivers/aplication using setup from this copy esupport. All needed aplication drivers has been instaled and now I don`t have hot keys animations like on oryginal ssd . Armoury crate doesn`t recognize my gx531gx :(. Anyone can help me with hot keys and armoury crate ?

3. majster msi

majster msi Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Problem solved by recovery of oryginal asus os.

4. bivo104

bivo104 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys, just found out this this forum and I that i am not the only one who stepped across problems with this pc.
    My problems so far are:
    -My left and down arrow tend to have a greener tint compared to the other keyes(e.g. if I set the color to be white, those two buttons are a little bit green). Hence, if I have to turn on rgb lighting I set it on red, so everything is more uniform and this defect remains unnoticed. I read on some rog forum that this is a bios bug, because if you set your colors to be the primary ones (red, green, blue) there is little (if not) "distortion".
    -The right side, that space that goes from the enter key to the trackpad is a little "elevated", and you can push it down a few millimeters down. Not a big deal but come on, this is a 3000€ pc, I expected the bluild quality to be top notch.
    -The trackpad sometimes goes crazy for one second and doesn't detect my input. It happened like three times now, not a big deal and I think it is software related.
    -The left side bezel is a little bit loose. I mean, while the top and right are fixed in their position, you can move a tiny little bit the left one. I came across this one randomly and I believe this is caused by the glue not being applied correctly, but come on again, asus.
    -The Armoury crate software is complete garbage. When I first got this laptop, i set it so the screen would work at 144hz even when it wasn't plugged in. Result: AC would crash and I had to reset the laptop after two days of usage. Now I undervolted the cpu by -0.125mv and the app works(I mean you can set the various power options) but it doesn't display the cpu stats no more.
    -Speaking of the CPU, it runs HOT! Like mid 90s celsius hot. Here in Italy it's currently 25-28 degrees, but the main selling point of this product was the fact that is packages a slim format and high end components, using an innovative thermal solution. I didn't see any of that. I tried Shadow warrior for around half an hour and It was always in the mid 80s, wolfenstein the new colossus and it was in the mid 80s with spikes to the 90s and shadow tactics blades of the shogun and it was almost constantly in the high 80s and mid 90s. I read online that it is normal for such Intel cpus to run this hot, but i wasn't expecting is from this device. And this was after undervolting with throttlestop.
    -There is coil whining when the pc is under heavy load. I was working on a scene in Maya yesterday, and when I moved my mouse(since I use external m+k and monitor) you could hear a buzz noise. Apparently, If I unplugged the laptop from the power brick, It would stop, but I don' really know what to think.
    -When I first got this pc, I noticed I couldn't press "in the right way" the 3 key. Further investigations got me into discovering that there was a small little plastic piece that was blocking the pressing mechanism. So yeah, Asus really pays very attention to its assembling process.
    In a month or two, I am planning on taking this laptop to an Asus gold stor near me and have this defects solved(at least the hardware ones) and maybe have it repasted, but I don't think that this is going to be a solution since The cpu and gpu share the same heat pipes and the gpu doesn't seem to have any thermal problem. I was thinking of requesting an rma, but at least here in Italy the Asus repair centers have a really really bad reputations, there are cases where they sent the pc back to their owner in a worse state than it was before, In addion to that the help center have been very vague regarding my problems and they take one or two entire days to reply. I have a friend that had to send his Dell g3 to Dell's repair center due to screen problems and in a matter of days they solved everything, even sending it back to him in a much more robust and "cooler" box to prevent transport issues.
    In conclusion, I spent a huge amount of money for a GX531GX expecting top quality and I now have in my hands on a marketing gimmick. I'm keeping it, because it still works fine (if you don't count the thermals and the coil whine buzz) but this will be my last asus laptop.

MartinDdrummer2 likes this.
  5. MartinDdrummer2

MartinDdrummer2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is there anyway to force to turn on g sync for this laptop? i currently own gx531gx-xs74 btw.

6. mrseek

mrseek Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Great thread for GX531GS owners, have been following it for a while now.

If could it be possible that someone can upload the copy of esupport folder archived. Would be great for offline updates of driver or someone who lost it by resetting like myself.

Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
  7. Kevin@GenTechPC

Reputations:
    You can't force it to turn on without BIOS & Nvidia driver support unless someone hacked the driver.

8. Bmastaaa

Bmastaaa Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anyone has audio issue ? (volume fluctuating & low quality)

9. Kevin@GenTechPC

Reputations:
    Donald@zTecpc likes this.
  10. Bmastaaa

Bmastaaa Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations: