ASUS ZEPHYRUS S GX531GS Owner’s Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by LeoNivorous, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Saint3448

Saint3448 Newbie

Reputations:
    In manual mode, it only has options for Fans, no OC.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. razor950

razor950 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @Saint3448
    you need to update your asus armory crate because latest version does have controls for OCing the GPU.

I contacted asus via email and like I expected, they've been of no help. The first person sent me links to drivers which I had already tried and I replied with everything I'd done and the reply after that was that the external SSD most likely doesn't support gen 2 and thats why it doesn't work in those ports. I didn't like to replying sends me a new person every time but I expected to hit a wall from this.

I don't know what to do, I can return this laptop but if the issue is related to bios then getting another isn't gonna fix an issue.

3. Saint3448

Saint3448 Newbie

Reputations:
    Razor - I downloaded the only "Armoury Crate" available on the Windows Store (It was labeled beta?) - the version I have is 1.4.1.0, is this not the correct one?

4. Cocowheats

Cocowheats Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That is the same version I am on and mine has OC under the manual profile.

Did you download/install ARMOURY CRATE Service V1.4.1 from https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ROG-Zephyrus-S-GX531/HelpDesk_Download/ BEFORE installing the windows store app? Asus says to install this first.

I realize Asus mentions that you need this for lighting controls, but it may be more than that.

I would uninstall the windows store armoury crate, install ARMOURY CRATE Service V1.4.1 from Asus' site, then install the windows store Armoury crate again.

5. Saint3448

Saint3448 Newbie

Reputations:
    I had the services installed, but I thought perhaps not in the correct order. So I uninstalled the services, uninstalled AC, cleaned my registry, and then downloaded and installed them in the "correct" order. Still no go. Weird.

6. jsebert.js

jsebert.js Newbie

Reputations:
    Having the same issue. If you happen to figure it out please update the thread. I had the overclock option available a couple weeks ago and one day it was nothing but fan sliders like you. As a workaround I downloaded MSI Afterburner which I have used on this laptop before but all overclock options in it are now locked as well. May be something in the BIOS. Unfortunately I dont have much faith in ASUS to figure it out. Also, strangely, both of the BIOS updates for the GX531GS that were on the ASUS Support Site are now gone. Only BIOS updates listed are for GX531GM.

7. jsebert.js

jsebert.js Newbie

Reputations:
    Most have probably figured it out by now but since no tutorials have been posted on how to disassemble the Zephyrus S I made a quick ifixit guide. The guide only goes as far as SSD and RAM replacement. I did not remove the heatsink and repaste in this one. Once my Thermal Grizzly arrives and I decide whether I want to void my warranty I will update it further. It is super easy to tear down, hope it helps. https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Asus+ROG+Zephyrus+S+(GX531GS-AH76)+Disassembly/118082

comicgeek likes this.
  8. Cocowheats

Cocowheats Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What BIOS and EC are guys on?

Like my previous post mentions, I got force updated on BIOS and EC.

That all said, the BIOS & EC update seems much more stable. I am back to running at -.165v without BSODs in day to day work loads, like I was having before(games ran fine but daily work caused BSODs). Somehow, I am literally 10C cooler too in games now. GTA V was topping at 81C and BlackOps4 was hitting 88-91C. Today, all settings the same otherwise, GTA V topping at 71C and BlackOps4 at 74C.

I'm puzzled at the 10C drop, but Ill take it.

9. jsebert.js

jsebert.js Newbie

Reputations:
    Im in BIOS 300. Not sure what EC stands for. Im new to PC

10. razor950

razor950 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @Cocowheats
    Bios 300
    GOP Version 9.0.1077
    EC Version F0CF0A01.004

I don't know why they removed the GS bios from the asus support page, I am in contact with asus engineers hopefully this week but I don't know if I have much hope for any solutions on my issue.