ASUS ZEPHYRUS S GX531GS Owner’s Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by LeoNivorous, Sep 27, 2018.

1. LeoNivorous

LeoNivorous Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well if you are looking for anything above $2500, then you’ll be able to buy a RTX Laptop, yet the performance is not going to be as good for the money like when the 10 series came out for laptops.

2. drek20

drek20 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yea ill have no problem spending that plus more if needed. Well the 2080 is what 20-25% ish better then the 1080. Id imagine the laptops will be similar so worth the wait IMO. Hopefully they release a slim bezel 17” model with a 2080/2080 max q, would be perfect.

3. vacuity

vacuity Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys, having a bit of an issue.

I can't get this laptop to accept any driver other than the original one provided on ASUS' website. I've tried DDU, installing through geforce experience and straight from nvidia's website, all to no avail. I'm at a loss at this point. Any ideas?

4. Donald@HIDevolution

Donald@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    It is really best to use the ASUS certified driver. Is there a reason you don't want to use it?

5. vacuity

vacuity Newbie

Reputations:
    My issue with that is that EA has some sort of driver restriction and refuses to allow battlefield 5 to run with drivers prior to 416.xx or whatever the most recent was. Asus is roughly 2 months behind the curve when it comes to certified drivers on their website, unless I'm missing something.

6. Dennismungai

Dennismungai Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You might want to contact NVIDIA's driver team concerning your case.
    Every driver released has a dedicated feedback thread and a form you can fill in and submit directly to NVIDIA.

Direct links:
    1. https://surveys.nvidia.com/index.jsp?pi=6e7ea6bb4a02641fa8f07694a40f8ac6
    2. https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3141

Reference: The NVIDIA subreddit's post on the latest driver: https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/9valkn/driver_41681_faqdiscussion/

7. cyborgslunk

cyborgslunk Newbie

Reputations:
    Have had my gx531 for about a week now and really love it. Exactly what I wanted. HOWEVER, like many others I am noticing backlight bleed on the four corners of the screen. Currently it's only noticeable when I have a full black screen, and so far doesn't really bother me. But I'm new to this kind of issue - is it going to get worse over time? If so, should I just return it and hope the next doesn't have bleed issues? Judging by the internet seems like a 50/50 chance that a replacement will have backlight bleed as well...

8. Charl10

Charl10 Newbie

Reputations:
    So to the current owners of this laptop... Would anyone recommend NOT getting it?

I was so close to pulling the trigger on the MSI GS65 Stealth, but then this one came long and seems the better option.

Any objections?

9. drek20

drek20 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Does anyone know if the usb-c display port on the zephyrus s can run at 240hz on a 240hz monitor?

10. Support.1@XOTIC PC

Support.1@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    I am not aware of the screen bleed issue getting worse over time. But it can be a roll of the dice if you decide on a replacement. It could be better or it could be worse. If it isn't that bad and you can live with it, I would probably just stay with it