Asus Zephyrus S GX502 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Ghengis, Apr 21, 2020.

1. Ghengis

Ghengis Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What it says in the title. I can't find much discussion of this model elsewhere so I'm hoping it can happen here.

SUADE8880 and G46VW like this.
  2. G46VW

G46VW Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I agree there should be a thread for this.

3. Ghengis

Reputations:
    And now there is!

I quite like the overall build quality of the system. I didn't expect to be crazy about the "flap" on the bottom but it's actually been really nice, like having a built-in cooling pad so I can play games with it on my lap. Performance has been good and while max fan speed is a little too "hair dryer-y" for my liking, managing heat-to-noise tradeoff via Armoury Crate has been solid.

My only hangup is that I've had a few spontaneous hangs and reboots. A lot of the time when I turn it on, it freezes during the boot logo animation, then I turn it off and it powers up without issue. Every once in a while, it seems OK until I get to the desktop, then hangs a minute or so after login.

Other than that, it's been pretty stable, so I've just kind of been dealing with it, but I'd feel a lot better long term if i figured out what was causing it. I'm trying to avoid dealing with an RMA during lockdown, but who knows how long that's going to be...

4. SUADE8880

SUADE8880 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

Any bios update that would fix the issue? Seems more like software than hardware.

I was debating between this model and the GX531 before I actually got it because they were both in the neighborhood of super thin and portable with plenty of power. I ran into some high temps with it before I liquid metal both CPU and GPU and now it runs like the coolest laptop ever. How's the temp in the GX502?

5. Ghengis

Reputations:
    It's on latest BIOS (308), at least as of this past weekend. If it's a known issue, I haven't really seen anybody else complaining about it. Then again, I haven't seen that much written about it at all -- especially the GX502GV that I got, with 2060 instead of 2070. I haven't really done a full on stress test to check temps, but it hasn't gotten uncomfortably warm while gaming which is what I mostly care about.

6. dvrko

dvrko Newbie

Reputations:
    let me introduce myself as a gx502 owner! well let's start off by saying that temps on this laptop aren't the greatest, I had to undervolt it and set turbo boost to a max of 3.4ghz to stay underthe 90s range without loosing much performance, I'll probably repaste it too in the near future if I find the strenght to do so, I'm a bit scared of doing it ngl

7. AlphaScorpii

AlphaScorpii Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Looking to maybe buy this laptop. How is the noise in light load (like watching youtube video in FHD@50fps + some other apps opened)?

8. Ghengis

Reputations:
    Alpha, I run it in G-Sync mode (with Optimus disabled) so my temps might be slightly higher than what you'd get without waking up the dGPU, but the fans are still either off or at the lowest level (barely audible) when I'm just web browsing or watching videos. That's with Armoury Crate set to "Silent" profile, which lets things get slightly hotter than "Performance" would. I'm very pleased with the fan noise on "Silent".

Re: the complaints I had back in April, it's better but not totally fixed. I've still had a few crashes and/or spontaneous reboots, maybe once a week on average. One thing I've started doing that seems to help is waiting to plug it in until after it's been awake / booted for a minute or two. It might sound weird, but Armoury Crate has hooks to change state during power transitions, and I suspect that if you go from "unplugged" to "plugged" while it's still starting up, it can cause a driver problem. Since I started doing that I've only had it hang on boot / resume once or twice. Not sure my superstition is the cause, but it can't hurt, right?

9. parawizard

parawizard Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You problem sure sounds like some sort of weird hardware issue if there is no one else experiencing it. I am looking into the 2020 version. Comes with liquid metal on the CPU stock.

Anyone have any opinions about the ESS sabre DAC? Any hiss on IEMS?

10. parawizard

parawizard Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Got mine in the mail today. It's pretty nice but the screens viewing angles are terrible. I don't feel like I ever can be completely centered. Pretty bad bleed in middle and edge of the screens. It's going back.