Asus Zephyrus M w/1070. Any questions?

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by B0B, May 15, 2018.

1. Jalen9762

Jalen9762 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi Bob,

Do you think you can post a walkthrough on how to undervolt the GPU as well?

Steelfatboy likes this.
  2. Fred_Huang

Fred_Huang Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am deciding between this one and G703-WS71. Huge difference I know. But the M's battery life just won't justify it as a "mobile" workstation in any kind. Sign... Given that a 10 lbs 17" with presumably better cooling and more screen estate make more sense. But I still love the M's much aesthetic design and ability to be carried around, although I have a zenbook exactly does it already. Very hard to decide..

3. Support.3@XOTIC PC

Support.3@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    It's definitely not mobile, but there's a decent amount of middle ground between the ultraportables and desktop replacements.

Steelfatboy likes this.
  4. Support.4@XOTIC PC

Support.4@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    @dkevox Awesome info, glad you like it overall!

5. Jena_Plissken

Jena_Plissken Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi Bob, first of all thanks for your review, it helped quite a lot. Now, I am really about to sell my Clevo P751DM2-G (great machine, but I constantly feel its size and thickness, and fans always active on low/medium during normal use) and my old ultrabook also, just to buy this Zephyrus M, hoping it will combine the strong sides of both of them. So, if you can, I need some further information/suggestion, I hope you can answer me:

1) Would you recommend me this laptop not only as one for gaming demanding titles, but also for daily work (mainly writing, and then also working with engines like UE4, Unity) ?
    2) Is there a way to permanently apply new voltage setting without having to make throttlestop run each time?
    3) Do you know if the laptop would be able to cool itself (a bit, at least) when the lid is closed? I was thinking in the case scenario in which I may need to close and then open the pc again to resume work (not gaming); and the case in which I may want to watch a movie on an external monitor.

Thank you very much in advance.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  6. Agyr

Agyr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey Bob, I'm about to grab this bad boy in a few days. Just have a few questions:
    • I know the lifting mechanism feels flimsy, but do you think it'll last for a few years? Planning on using this for school for the next two-and-a-half years.
    • Do you know if there's a limit to what the 2.5" SATA slot supports? Planning on putting in a WD Blue 2 TB 2.5" SATA SSD. Yes, I know I'm a lunatic.
    • Does the temperature increase the longer you use it? I'm going to be using it for an entire day, every day for the next few years.
    • What other benefits does Optimus provide other than better battery life? Do I get better temps? Can I use the dedicated graphics card while I'm on Optimus if I set it to run on specific programs in the NVIDIA Control Panel?
    Thank you!

7. JAnguita

JAnguita Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you for your great review.
    Only one simple question: Is it possible to record macros on the keyboard?

8. CCY

CCY Newbie

Reputations:
    how to disable the underglow light? The red light at the below?

9. dkevox

dkevox Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can't without taking the bottom off and unplugging the LED. Bob tells how in his disassembly video.

10. NiveQ

NiveQ Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    run ROG Aura Core and go to the tab: Aura configuration
    then under general settings turn Aero Light off.

PopeMuShin likes this.