Asus Zephyrus M w/1070. Any questions?

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by B0B, May 15, 2018.

1. B0B

B0B Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Great questions!

1) Currently without pets and ultimately time will tell on build-up. I do not see this setup as something that will intake more dust and hair over anything else. However, its design allows the user to place the laptop nearly anywhere without suffocation and therefore you might be more apt to place this in locations that you normally wouldn't ultimately increasing the hair/dust intake.

2) Not at all. It's subtle. Very unique question, I like it.

3) You are able to disable every light upon my testing except the rear ROG logo. I didn't find a solution for that. It likely exists but it's not bright enough to radiate any ambient lighting.

2. Support.4@XOTIC PC

Support.4@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    I've got a question! You'll like this one ;)
    What do you personally like or dislike that stands out from other laptops that you've owned?

3. B0B

B0B Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    From my perspective?

Pro's:
    -Best cooling per its form factor and spec without sacrificing the "lap" part of the laptop.
    -Best gaming screen, no question.
    -Still uses a 15" housing. People want thin bezels but perhaps not realizing you're getting into a 14" chassis which is pretty small to game on and limits cooling capability.
    -Switchable graphics!

Con's:
    -Ditch the 2.5 and increase the battery by 50% minimum.
    -Allowing the user to switch between iGPU and dGPU in the BIOS should be required. Can it be addressed?
    -Price, but its in-line for its class overall. It's a hard sell just spec alone, even though it truly offers some incredible tech :)
    -Dedicated LAN is missing. It's such a great gaming machine before anything else. The 9560 NIC is great but WiFi won't satisfy everyone.

Vinny V. and Support.4@XOTIC PC like this.
  4. dkevox

dkevox Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @B0B @Support.4@XOTIC PC or anyone else.

Random silly question, but it's been annoying me. When you set the rbg keyboard lighting to color cycle or rainbow mode (something cycling the colors), does the left arrow key lead the rest of the keys in changing color?

I know it's silly, but now that I noticed it it's so annoying. It's always 1 color ahead of the surrounding keys in the cycle. I guess the upside is it's clearly a programming issue as setting a static color displays the right color.

5. B0B

B0B Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That’s a new one! I don’t think I would ever bring this up as a negative on the channel but it’s something I’ll look out for.

Other than this, what else do you like or dislike about this machine?

6. stranula

stranula Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    1. Before repasting, did you do any undervolting to see how it impacted temps?

2. Did you figure out if there was a way to disable to ROG logo lighting?

3. Did you happen to note what RAM it came with, or have any other information about it from hardware analysis software? I'm looking at adding another 16GB stick, and want to make sure it will be appropriate for what is in there.

Thanks for answering questions about the GM501, doesn't seem there are a lot out there yet.

7. B0B

B0B Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Review added to the OP

8. stranula

stranula Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Your review was a motivating factor in me purchasing the GM501, though I'm not sure those questions are answered in either review. I've since gotten the answers I was looking for though. Thanks again.

9. B0B

B0B Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Undervolting alone does very little to extremely thin chassis laptops with this much power. Lots of work for little return.

The ROG logo lighting on the LID from my testing was unable to be shut off

My unit had Samsung RAM if I recall correctly. If you're trying to match it and can't find the same SKU just go with Crucial. You can also check the part # in CPU-Z and HWinfo64 too (I think).

10. dkevox

dkevox Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    ^^ I got the ram specs from asus and posted them here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/asus-zephyrus-m-gm501-owners-lounge.815303/page-16

In Argentina for the week on a school trip and this laptop has been amazing. I don't mind the bezel size honestly. I think the keyboard layout is great and was very easy to get used to using it when writing long reports. I've also been getting well over 3 hours of battery life when writing reports and doing minor web surfing during the week. I usually have ~20-30% left after ~3 hours. I think 4 hours is probably a stretch. But this is also with the screen brightness at something comfortable (50%+). So while I wish they ditched the hdd bay, put in a spare m.2. slot and a larger battery, it works.

The new strix ii laptop definitely would have been a serious consideration if I were still shopping due to the thinner bezel. But I think I would have still chosen the Zephyrus. Primary reason being the build quality, the more toned down presentation, and the thin case.

Pros
    I didn't expect to LOVE the lift mechanism as much as I do. It's very sturdy, and makes working and even gaming on the lap feasible. Way better than vents on the bottom that are easier to block.

I also can play some games on silent mode with no issues which is great. No undervolt or repaste yet and on silent mode I hold steady 144fps in rocket league and temps ~85c max on the cpu. However, games like tomb raider do see benefit from bumping up the fan speed.

Lastly, the speakers are really quite good. Have been listening to a lot of music while working and they have a good full range and don't distort at full volume. These aren't a replacement to a decent quality portable speaker, but good enough for sitting in groups and working.

The last one is the overall interface with the laptop. My alienware 13 r2 suffered from slow response times and other weird things. This is the first laptop I've ever owned that feels as responsive and smooth as my desktops always have. So huge bonus there, but assume that's similar for most similar spec'd laptops.

Cons
    The cons are definitely the battery life. It's enough to be adequately usable, but could have been so much better if it were almost twice the size and could easily get 5+ hours.

The noise from the fans in overboost is insane.

The stupid lighting being off on the left arrow key (it really annoys me)

The location of the power and headphone ports. The power isn't horrible as the connector is a 90 degree connector and doesn't get in the way. But plugging headphones straight into that port makes me hit the headphone plug quite often. To the point I ordered a headphone extension with a 90 degree connector to be able to use with the laptop.

Minor related con, if the power cord is plugged in on your right and the cord crosses your lap, it can occasionally get stuck in the area that opens under the laptop when the screen is up. This is because it turns sharply and gets wedged in there. Honestly not sure there is much they could do about this (except offer a location on either side of the laptop to plug power in)

Lastly wish they had dedicated play/pause keys for music (can do this with a function key and it works, but wish i had dedicated buttons)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    Support.4@XOTIC PC likes this.