Asus Zephyrus M w/1070. Any questions?

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by B0B, May 15, 2018.

1. Support.1@XOTIC PC

Support.1@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Yep, the "metal" type one is the conductonaut, I believe.

B0B likes this.
  2. DireWolfAlpha

DireWolfAlpha Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can you get Type-C output to support G-SYNC? I know this is going to require an adapter - and that the laptop screen itself is already GSYNC, but I was thinking of getting this to game along with an external GSYNC monitor - and it would be sad if GSYNC doesn’t work that way.

3. B0B

B0B Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I do not know as I don’t have access to the adapter and an external Gsync monitor.

4. Support.1@XOTIC PC

Reputations:
    Yeah, If the monitor has Gsync capabilities and you have the right adapter. In theory it would be just fine.

5. dkevox

dkevox Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Appreciate both your advice and comments.

I'm being tempted by the LM dark side. I have extensive experience watercooling pc's and feel I wouldn't have much trouble applying LM. Especially as I would do it multiple times just to be able to see if I am applying the right amount and blah blah.

But what I'm having trouble finding out is the longevity of LM. I believe the zephyrus m heat sink is nickle, so the "drying up" from reacting with copper shouldn't be an issue. But i've read numerous posts about not using LM in application that get above 70-80C. Or of LM bubbling out when it gets too hot?

Anyway, this is not a desktop replacement for me, it's a convenience due to the amount I travel for my job. I don't mind putting in the work to get it setup properly, but want to then be able to forget about it.

Either of your's experience/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Also/lastly,

Does anyone know the timing specs of the 16gb RAM that the zephyrus m comes with? I'd like to put in another stick to benefit from having dual channel memory, but don't want mismatched timing.

6. Support.1@XOTIC PC

Reputations:
    From my experience it runs about the same in longevity as like your thermal grease like IC diamond.

7. dkevox

Reputations:
    Thank you for the reply!

@B0B, appreciate the video review and the walk through on tearing it down.

I'm wondering if you still feel as upset about the lack of thermal pads? It seems your reaction was kind of a result of shock, as you also immediately admit you have no evidence of the TIM having any negative impact on the performance of the machine.

I bought fujipoly pads to possibly install, but am leaning towards re-applying the TIM. As I won't be overclocking the machine, all it has to do is work and not melt right? I understand pads ought to cool those components better, but is that needed? If the components function reliably as is, why is there an issue?

8. B0B

B0B Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    No just as you stated I was in absolute shock considering this is a $2200 laptop.

I never felt like it hurt performance and if I was the one responsible for selling this machine there’s no way it would’ve left my factory without the best considering this is cream of the crop.

9. dkevox

Reputations:
    Fair enough!

The pads I ordered aren't getting here until middle of next week, but I wanted to do the repaste this weekend as I travel pretty much the next month. So that's why I was trying to figure out how big of a deal it would be to just re-use TIM instead.

Really appreciate all the detailed videos, I've spent quite sometime watching them and learning. Thanks!

B0B likes this.
  10. Turnip

Turnip Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    1. Does the lift-up mechanism seem like it draws in an excessive amount of dirt/dust/hair? I have dogs so I wouldn't want the "enhanced" cooling solution to actually be a detriment in this environment.

2. Do components you plug into the side seem to suffer from being elevated at all? I know they're all closer to the front, but I have a fairly large USB and the idea of it sitting higher worries me just a tad bit.

3. This one is petty, but is there any way to disable the internal RGBs while its lifted up, or disable the ROG logo lights? I'd prefer getting rid of any red accents, honestly. I'm even thinking about calling Hidevolution to ask if they could do it, if I order this laptop.

KY_BULLET likes this.