*** ASUS Zephyrus M (GM501) Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Waseem.852, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Jena_Plissken

Jena_Plissken Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I finally got my hands on this amazing laptop, I did a clean install and then I soon started to mess around with throttlestop to lower temps on cpu, undervolting -125 mV on cpu core and -48.8 mV on cpu cache as almost everyone suggested. Neverthless, I came across some problems, and I have some questions for anyone willing to answer:

• What's the difference between Throttlestop "on" and "off"? As I haven't noticed particular changes, I read some guides but still I don't understand.
    • If I enable speed shift through throttlestop and set its value to 128, I get better temps but I also notice that performance get worse instead with the balanced fan profile, with some stuttering during games. Is it the same for you, should it be normal? I wonder, so, if speedshift should be enabled or not and with what value.
    • I noticed that optimus/g-sync switch, after restart, takes a bit to happen: desktop appears zoomed as if no graphic driver is installed, then in task manager it always shows an nvidia process taking some % of cpu for around a minute or two, and then graphic switching actually takes place. Is it normal?
    • Shouldn't the rear logo turn off when using battery? Cause mine does not turn off, and I don't understand why. I have latest bios and firmware version .306, does it remain on to you either?

Thanks in advance ;-)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  2. Jalen9762

Jalen9762 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Has anyone tried assissin's creed oddysey on the gm501 yet I remember origins ran pretty bad it would make the cpu over heat bady just want to know if i should get the game for ps4 or the zephyrus.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  3. leftisthominid

leftisthominid Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Eight time is the charm it seems. This one has no dead pixels of specks of dust behind the screen cover.

I just start AC Odyssey on it and the fans got real loud. How do I modulate how load they get?

4. leftisthominid

Reputations:
    I am running XTU on stock right now. My temperatures are only going to ~78 at Max. This is lower than what they go to on AC Odyssey. The fans are on balanced and are pretty loud.

Is this normal?

Donald@HIDevolution likes this.
  5. Dave98898

Dave98898 Newbie

Reputations:
    I've been playing AC Odyssey since pre-release. The game takes a VERY heavy toll.
    • I have little experience tinkering with computers. I bought the Zephyrus M in August after reading all of these reviews and figuring I would learn some new skills
    • I have a stock system, have done no internal thermal pads/paste. I have 0 experience undervolting, but I got TS and set it to the standard -49.8/-125. I don't know how to do anything better.
    • I play in my kitchen so it's a fairly standard 22.5 degrees
    On my first day of heavy play I noticed TS wasn't on (I haven't figured out how to make it start during boot. Temps registered on ROG Gaming center above 95. I freaked out. I realized TS was the the issue. I now am consistently between 80-85. I generally won't play more than 2 hrs in a row before giving the system (and me... I think I'm getting carpal tunnel) a 15 minute break.

Fans can be changed in the ROG gaming center, or by clicking Fn F5. That being said if you are playing heavy video loads like AC, it should be on overboost. I don't know what happens to your computer when it gets temps over 100... but I assume it's very very bad.

Thanks to the community for this thread, it's given me a lot of info and some basic "tinker with my system" confidence.

Dave

Donald@HIDevolution likes this.
  6. SpudWard77

SpudWard77 Newbie

Reputations:
    I saw a thread on Asus forums and a video on youtube about there being problems running external monitors is this still a problem for the GM501 or has it been resolved?

7. weeterweiser

weeterweiser Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi All - just bought mine last Thurs, really impressed with it so far. Only gripe is that the fans are really, really loud at full blast. I can appreciate that it's keeping things relatively cool. I'm getting low 80's in Overwatch, -125 mv core, -50.8 mv cache undervolt, overboost fans - seems ok? Anyone found it to be stable at even lower undervolts? I was getting failed workers on Prime95 at -90-110 mv core but ended up getting stable tests and lower temps around 125 after changing battery profile (plugged in) to best performance - dumb mistake.

With that said, I'm curious about repasting to get temps a bit lower for main purpose of getting fan noise down a bit. Is LM worth the risk? I do move my laptop around but its not a daily traveler. I'm relatively computer literate (built desktops in the past) but the risk of spillage frying the comp is intimidating. Would Kryonaut be a better alternative for what I'm trying to do? Also - per Bob's (awesome) teardown video, all of the areas where you'd normally see heat pads are instead thermal pasted. Would removing the paste and apply Fujipoly pads there be beneficial to overall temps? I'm not really familiar with pads' purpose/positioning/function so sorry if that's a dumb question. Any thoughts on sizing/thickness of the pads if you think they're worth adding?

8. leftisthominid

Reputations:
    Can you link what you mean? I haven't had a problem linking with my 1080p monitor. When I connected to my UHD TV yesterday; however, I couldn't get it to run 4K 60Hz. It was stuck at either 24 or 30 (I forget). This was with the same cable and TV HDMI port that my desktop 1060 was able to output 4k60 on.

9. SpudWard77

SpudWard77 Newbie

Reputations:
    This video here I saw a thread on asus official forum but Ill have to look for it again.

10. leftisthominid

Reputations:
    This will only affect you if you are trying to get two displays out of the Thunderbolt 3 display. You can easily connect one display out of the HDMI while connecting the other through an adapter from the TB3. Some computers have dual display support for the TB3 port, meaning it can connect to two displays. This one can only connect to one. I have ordered a VGA/DVI/HDMI combo-dongle. When I get a chance, I will try to see if it can power to displays at once.

SpudWard77 likes this.