*** ASUS Zephyrus M (GM501) Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Waseem.852, Nov 21, 2017.

1. _speedy_

_speedy_ Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all, I'm considering buying this laptop so I went through some of this thread (it's quite long) to get even more info. The biggest concern about this laptop is obviously temperature and battery life. I'm fine with the latter.

So my question is - if I buy external graphics card solution and connect it through Thunderbolt 3 port, will I solve the temperature issues?

My thinking is that if internal gpu is not generating any heat, cpu will have better chance to cool down more effectively. Plus now with new RTX 20x0 cards it kindof makes sense to have external gpu and not wait until they build a laptop with mobile version (if ever).

Does anybody have this setup to confirm my expectations?

Thank you!

2. Denjin

Denjin Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yes, I have a GTX 1080 eGPU setup and it is a lot cooler when playing games this way. I mean it gets 60something but that is it, normally.

3. _speedy_

_speedy_ Newbie

Reputations:
    Wow that was fast! Thank you! By the way do you see any impact on the performance compared to the internal gpu?

4. Denjin

Denjin Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hey. The 1080, using eGPU - I was too lazy to do a benchmark comparison to the internal 1070. However, it wasn’t really great for 3440x1440 and I put the 1080 back in my desktop and just use it (it is a new 8700K system, so not really fair comparison). The problem is the minimum frame rate is a bit lower on eGPU if that makes sense? So you notice stutters and stuff a bit more.

However, I’m sure the 1080 using eGPU is at LEAST as fast as the 1070 and as I said it is a lot cooler. Probably since the heat pipe is shared across GPU and CPU so when you use both it gets hot.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  5. leftisthominid

leftisthominid Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I just got my fourth Zephyrus M (first and third had dead pixels, second's HDD was making weird noises). I haven't inspected the screen yet, but I noticed this stuff in the grill. I don't remember seeing it before, but I am not sure.

Do any of you know what it is?

Attached Files:

6. tbgse

tbgse Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

I stalked the forums here for quite a bit before making a buying decision and finally decided for the Zephyrus M GM501GM with a 1060 GPU.
    I've just received it yesterday and so far I'm very impressed with the build quality. The laptop feels super premium to me (coming from an early 2015 Razer blade). The keyboard is excellent and blows in my opinion the older Razer one out of the water. I've so far installed all official windows updates, latest gpu and intel drivers as well as an official bios update.

I've seen a few questions here regarding undevolting. After all updates I've reached a stable -78.1 mV core and -78.1 mV cache.
    I have not yet tested and GPU stress, still installing games, but here are the temps I've recorded so far

-all on BALANCED fan speed settings with undervolt through throttlestop as mentioned above. All with stock paste, not planning to repaste atm.

Light browsing / Idle on battery:
    35-39 deg cpu temps, fans are off - no sound at all.

Light browsing / Idle plugged:
    37-41 deg cpu temps, fans are off - no sounds

Medium activity (Installing a new game + watching some youtube at the same time)
    about 50deg cpu temps, fans barely audible - for me that qualifies as silent

Stress test Prime 95 for about 20 min with small FFTs for maximum heat and CPU stress
    about 76deg cpu average temps, CPU clocks at 3.6ghz, fans spin to the max but for me the fan sound is still very pleasant, pitch not too high, no rattling or metal sounds. However, you'd totally want to wear headphones at this level of fan usage.

Stress test Prime 95 for about 20 min with a blend test
    about 66deg cpu average temps, CPU clocks at 3.91, fans are moderately spinning but if you'd play some music over the speakers that'd totally overpower the sound of the fans. Could imagine playing a game at this fan level without headphones for sure.

I'll be testing everything in combination with the GPU over the weekend and try to undervolt the 1060 as well. By the way i did seem to almost reach 4 hours trying to play around with it in battery mode but never ended up fully draining it to see if the predictions were accurate. The display is really good by the way. I do have some minor lightbleed near the bottom of the panel but nothing too serious. I have calibrated the display with the color settings from the notebook check review and the colors look really nice, good viewing angles etc. I'm using a dell ultrasharp 25 (1440p) in my office and the zephyrus display doesn't have to hide in comparison.

Please let me know if you have any questions that I might be able to answer.

PopeMuShin, Filbee and hmscott like this.
  7. ddomaster

ddomaster Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Between the 1070 Zephyrus M for 2200 USD and the new 1070 Max-q Zephyrus S for 1900 USD, any opinions on which might be a better pick?

So far, I prefer the M's gsync, more powerful GPU and likely better keyboard but

I prefer the S's lighter weight, smaller size, thinner bezels, better build quality, lower price by 300USD and potentially better cooling (Asus are claiming that factory shipped units will have sub 80degree temps on both CPU and GPU during gaming/stress tests)

8. ddomaster

ddomaster Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This is so irritating.

9. Mikefx

Mikefx Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys, just bought this laptop -- 1070 version and stock paste.

So far still testing it but it does get very hot up to 95c but it doesnt stay there when fans kick in.

Undervolting did reduce the temps a lot..I'll let you guys know after some more tests.

Do you guys use balanced or overboost mode for fans? Which is better?

Also the lower right side of the laptop often gets hot, is it because of the hdd?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

10. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Greetings,
    can somebody share 3Dmark like Firestrike or timespy, I don’t think notebookcheck review is the best result that this machine can achieve.
    Thanks
    Yes you’ll have better cpu temperature with egpu setting, but egpu gaming experience on gaming Laptop isn’t great, since dgpu will perform more stable. I’ve 1080ti egpu but on some games like overwatch and Far Cry 5 on 1080p, 1070 maxq on my laptop performs better. If I play on 4K (which is the reason I got that egpu setting), I’ll get decent the FPS difference (bump), almost twice, and cores temperature in low 70ish which is also nice compared playing on laptops dgpu that sometimes hits high 80ish. Btw I ordered 2080 and see the performance and new tech advantage over current 1080ti, if there’s nothing special I’ll keep 1080ti.