*** ASUS Zephyrus M (GM501) Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Waseem.852, Nov 21, 2017.

1. PopeMuShin

PopeMuShin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am wondering if some of these temp results you guys are sharing, ie: 45+ at idle, won't get better after a burn in period. I actually didn't notice for the last week that I hadn't properly set my undervolting, and was running at stock settings. Despite this my CPU temps have been very good, hardly ever peeking up over 80C even during long sessions in games like Witcher 3 and Destiny 2. GPU hardly ever sees anything over 70-74C.

edit: never mind I'm forgetting about ambient temps

edit again: I always leave on Overboost fan setting

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  2. Jalen9762

Jalen9762 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have a question when im gaming on the gm501 I noticed that when I increase the fan speed the laptop is getting hotter and I also am gaining performance(more FPS) but when I lower the fan speed the temps are getting lower and I am losing performance(lower FPS) shouldn't it be the opposite. I would think the faster the fans spin the cooler the machine will run cooler correct… regardless of performance? Is something wrong with my machine or is this how the laptop is supposed to be? I'm just wondering why is performance and temps increasing when I increase fan speed.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  3. KKNDxx

KKNDxx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That's normal - faster coolers = more performance (more FPS) and it's getting hotter. Have exactly the same.

Did u Guys noticed throttling when playing on silent mode ? for example tried yday Dying light, and its like 100 FPS, then drop to 3 FPS for 5 secs, and then return to 100. CPU arround 70 / GPU 78 but with 1100 mghz (maybe thats the problem ?)

Thats normal or not ?

Same thing happened in Farcry 5 in balanced fan mode but with balanced power option (the one u set cliking on battery).

Do u Play with maximum power setting ?

4. PopeMuShin

PopeMuShin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I leave my power settings at max performance, gsync enabled, and fans on overboost.

What is happening when you are on the silent fan setting is that your cpu is throttling to maintain temps without the benefit of the increase air volume passing through.

5. Jalen9762

Jalen9762 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I am still having issues with temps. if you don't mind what is everyone using for speed shift and core,cache voltage offset ratings in Throttlestop? I would also like to know what is the best fan profile to use while gaming? I'm having a hard time with this sorry for all the questions.

6. leftisthominid

leftisthominid Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Two questions:

Did your AC adapter come with plastic wrap on it like in this picture (https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/ypwAAOSwWxxau7sw/s-l300.jpg). I bought a Zephyrus M from Best Buy, and the block had plastic on it, but I had to return the computer due to a dead pixel. I bought another from Costco, and I noticed the adapter did not have plastic on it. The computer did and the sub-box that the computer came it was shrink wrapped. I am wondering if this is just SKU differences between Costco and BestBuy (one is -US74 the other is -XS74).

Also, is there any way to turn off the red leds

7. KKNDxx

Reputations:
    Problem is farcry 5 at balanced And high performance is throttling And drops to 5 fps. Gpu at 85, Cpu at 85-88. Its like gpu is droping to 111 mhz for 2 secs. Im considering giving the laptop back - still have few days to do so. Any ideas how to solve that ? Undervolted -125, -50. Maybe downclock gpu ?

U cant turn off the reds :/

8. leftisthominid

Reputations:
    Is it just me or is the SSHD loud? I just got mine and I am installing a lot of things on it and I can hear creaky noises from it.

I am thinking about replacing it with a SATA SSD.

9. leftisthominid

Reputations:
    Did your AC adapters come with plastic wrap on it like in this picture (https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/ypwAAOSwWxxau7sw/s-l300.jpg). I bought a Zephyrus M from Best Buy, and the block had plastic on it, but I had to return the computer due to a dead pixel. I bought another from Costco, and I noticed the adapter did not have plastic on it. The computer did and the sub-box that the computer came it was shrink wrapped. I am wondering if this is just SKU differences between Costco and BestBuy (one is -US74 the other is -XS74).

10. KKNDxx

Reputations:
    Mine came with plastics.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018