*** ASUS Zephyrus M (GM501) Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Waseem.852, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Green Goober

Green Goober Newbie

Reputations:
    I own the Gm501, while the fans do get loud on overboost, my model does not produce coil whine. I have not noticed the battery drain while gaming for upwards of 5 hours, nor at work over the course of 8 hours

2. Green Goober

Green Goober Newbie

Reputations:
    Honestly, the bezel is something that I don't find myself paying attention to all that much. The fan mechanism on a pillow may cause additional over heating, personally its just something I wouldn't do. However it's going to be better than laptops with the fan located on the bottom. (I have an Alienware 18 that does atleast) I'm very impressed with the build quality of the zepheryus, and the 144hz screen for me is pretty amazing. I've never had a screen with a refresh rate so that may simply be my own ignorance

3. Green Goober

Green Goober Newbie

Reputations:
    Using this laptop to game without an adapter is completely pointless. I haven't needed to use it solely off battery, and I doubt I will 99% of the time. I need to keep it for three years due to work policies regarding upgrading. But this thing really does require a USB c adapter

4. Green Goober

Green Goober Newbie

Reputations:
    I have the gm501 but as I understand it the best buy exclusive does not have the hinge raising mechanism

5. RMXO

RMXO Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    How do you folks like it so far as I have one on order from HID.

Darkhan likes this.
  6. Green Goober

Green Goober Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm very happy with it. I bought it attempting to get down to 1 computer instead of having one for work and one for gaming. I deal with pretty large excel files and handle quite a bit of multi tasking at work. At home it's replacing my Alienware 18 that has 770m's in sli.
    For work it's been pretty phenomenal. They keyboard is actually pretty good. The processor is pretty amazing. I don't notice the fan noise in an office environment, but I do notice it at home when I am gaming. I tend to use headphones more now.
    I had to buy a usbc hub.

I rarely ever run on battery alone. I would like to get another adapter at some point.
    Finicky things I have run across but I'm sure will be ironed out.

1. The WiFi has intermittent drop outs (generally when connecting to 5ghz. Both at work and at home)
    2. I've noticed delayed start up and shut down times. I'll have to figure out what's hanging.
    3. Sometimes it seems like the processor takes a bit to get going from idle.

I have yet to see heavy throttling from heavy usage, which I hear has been a pretty significant concern for some. I have noticed a bit of slowing when I have to run a large batch process, but compared to what I was dealing with in the past, it's hardly anything to be disappointed about.

I will be looking at getting an additional 16gb of ram over the next 2 years. I intend on using this as my daily driver for the next 3-4 years.

Donald@HIDevolution, RMXO and Sadiki like this.
  7. Support.1@XOTIC PC

Support.1@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    What kind of thermals are you getting on this one? Been very interested

Donald@HIDevolution likes this.
  8. Th3GamingL0L

Th3GamingL0L Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you @Donald@HIDevolution again for another stellar job on handling my order from HIDevolution. As the laptop is currently in transit, I will post the specs below:

LCD Panel
    15.6" Full HD (1920x1080) Matte 144Hz 3ms IPS-Level Wide-View Display w/ G-Sync
    Video Card
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 w/ 8GB GDDR5
    Processor
    Intel 8th Generation "Coffee Lake" Core i7-8750H (2.2-4.1GHz) 6 Core - 12 Thread Processor, 9MB Smart Cache
    Thermal Interface Materials
    Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut on CPU + GPU, and Fujipoly Extreme Thermal Pads on heat sensitive surfaces
    Memory
    32GB HIDevolution Approved Dual Channel DDR4/2666MHz (2 x 16GB)
    M.2 SATA or PCIe x4 SSD

ASUS Approved 256GB M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe SSD
    2.5" HDD/SSD Bay
    1TB 5400RPM FireCuda 2.5" 7mm SSHD
    Wireless Cards
    Intel® Wireless-AC 9560 802.11 ac/a/b/g/n 2x2 NGFF w/ Bluetooth 5.0
    Operating System
    Genuine Windows® 10 Professional, 64bit, English

I will update with pictures when I have the time to, but knowing Donald and his team, I trust it to be another job well done.

LinusTechTips

Dave2D

NotebookCheck

9. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Last edited: May 17, 2018
  10. Jalen9762

Jalen9762 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    For all the gm501 owners I have a question does the laptop get hot if you are using it in your lap during normal usage? and also how long does the battery last on a full charge with optimus mode and power saving mode activiated, during just normal tasks such as web browsing and some youtube videos