*** ASUS Zephyrus M (GM501) Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Waseem.852, Nov 21, 2017.

1. therain93

therain93 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Jena_Plissken likes this.
  2. Jena_Plissken

Jena_Plissken Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Actually, it seems you can take cache also to -125mV:

Btw, your cpu is still hitting 90°? God... :|

Nice... t's 1060 version though (better to specify).

3. therain93

therain93 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I must have edited right when you were posting. ( ' :

4. Th3GamingL0L

Th3GamingL0L Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I used the undervolt quoted in the comments by B0B himself on his zephyrus m review.

Well the CPU normally max out mid-high 80s when playing witcher 3 modded that it renders higher fidelity textures and fx and drawing distance compared to vanilla (which results in a ~10fps drop). I have also OC the gpu with +200 MHz core and +300 memory, so it avgs around 2000 MHz core while gaming. I consider that to be really good and I expect it to be much better on other games temps wise.

I think I played OW once with competitive settings (all low, 75% render scale) on silent fans and both cpu and gpu were under 80C

Laptop temps depend greatly on the ambient temp with this thin of a chassis.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  5. Jena_Plissken

Reputations:
    Oh ok, I didn't know that, did he get bsod with -125?

You meant that it reaches 90 for a second or so, and then temp dropped down right after? I hope it's just for cpu changing its clocks, and not because of thermal throttling...

Anyway, I guess you play with framerate uncapped... with a little luck, capping it to 60/80 should help even more with thermals, maybe.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  6. Th3GamingL0L

Reputations:
    The laptop never thermal throttled on me once since I got it.

The modded witcher 3 I was playing was with hairworks on and custom graphics settings which give me around 48 fps avg in novigrad. Vanilla witcher 3 should be around 60fps with hairworks on.

According to B0b those underclock numbers are stable and laptop will bsod if cache values are pushed lower. I never tried it myself tho.

7. Jena_Plissken

Reputations:
    I'm having a little doubt now... is the laptop capable of cooling itself (a bit, at least) when the lid is closed, without the AAC system? I was thinking this because, with an exeternal monitor, I wouldn't want to be forced to leave the laptop open, even when (for example) only watching a movie. Also, when gaming, I hope I can turn off the red light coming from the vents

Thanks for the info. What is usually your room temperature when playing, though? Just to give me an idea.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  8. Murat Harman

Murat Harman Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys, just joined the forums and looking to get the GM501 with the 1060 very soon but I have just one question...

Am I right in assuming that this laptop will output 100Hz (G-Sync enabled) on my X34 ultrawide monitor using discrete graphics mode?

Cheers
    Murat

9. Th3GamingL0L

Reputations:
    Ambient temp feels like high 20s so not too cold. I live in Japan so during summer it is hot and humid but the laptop manages without me needing to turn on the ac.

I wouldn't recommend playing games with the laptop closed because there isnt any intake vents at the bottom. The red light at the vents should be able to be turned off via the Aura software, and the boot sound could be turned off in the bios. You cant turn off the red logo light at the back manually tho.

Donald@HIDevolution likes this.
  10. dzeek

dzeek Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm considering buying it. Has anyone tested with Cinebench R15 and HWINFO to see if the CPU throttles?