*** ASUS Zephyrus M (GM501) Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Waseem.852, Nov 21, 2017.

1. dkevox

dkevox Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That took a little while, but finally got a reply from Asus with the Zephyrus M memory specs:

------------------------------------------------------------------
    As regards query of latency expected of RAM modules installed in GM501 Notebook, please see table below:

MT/s: DDR4-2666
    Grade: -VK
    tCK (ns): 0.75
    CAS Latency (tCK):
    tRCD (ns): 14.25 (13.75)*
    tRP (ns): 14.25 (13.75)*
    tRAS (ns): 32
    tRC (ns): 46.25 (45.75)*
    CL-tRCD-tRP: 19-19-19

2. Jalen9762

Jalen9762 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I am going to get my Zephyrus on tuesday would it be a good idea to do a clean install of windows when I receive it?

hmscott likes this.
  3. atamgp

atamgp Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Beware everyone of asus's TB3 implementation!

I own a GM501 just recently using it for private and work. The TB3 was very inportant to use a docking over 40GB/s and connect external monitors.

They are making false statements here:
    https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ROG-Zephyrus-M-GM501/Features/

"Zephyrus M comes with Intel Thunderbolt™ 3, enabling a total of 40Gbps of bandwidth for data and display-signal streams, combined. Thunderbolt 3 is up to 8x faster than USB 3.0, and offers 2x the bandwidth and 4x the speed of USB 3.1 Gen 2. Its USB-C connector makes it the most advanced and versatile port available — providing single-cable docking and connections to up to two UHD displays"

THIS IS NOT TRUE!
    The tb3 implementation ONLY support 1 display, haha. A 2018 high end laptop costing EUR2000+ which has no other Displayport connection only support 1 monitor over it implresive 40GB TB3 port!!!!

Asus reply:
    "On our specification list we recomend to contact the store of purchase for the excact specifications:
    All specifications are subject to change without notice. Please check with your supplier for exact offers. Products may not be available in all markets."

I just spend EUR2000+ on your product and this is the reply. Dell's G7 cools beter, has a ful TB3 implementation and costs a lot less!!! Shame ASUS!

Here is a video where I explain the problem (made for Asus) and show that my wif's XPS 13 does the job with no fuss:

I should have bought the Dell! Needed TB3 but also 2.5"hdd so others are not an option.

4. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    After doing an image backup of the Asus image, using either / both Macrium Reflect and Asus Backtracker if it's available for your model, you are safe to do anything you like, with the ability to re-install the out of the box OS when needed - like for RMA or re-sale or as a sanity check when nothing else seems to be working or to verify if a problem is software or hardware related.

What I do is uninstall or disable anything I don't need that a vendor ships with a laptop, instead of doing a from scratch "Clean install", preserving the OS image.

Make sure before uninstalling an application that there is a version the same or newer available to download before uninstalling.

Asus usually ships installers with a copy of each tool in C:\esupport so back that up too, so you can copy / install anything you need of the original installers.

Good luck :)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
    Jalen9762 likes this.
  5. Jalen9762

Reputations:
    Thanks for quick reply I will try this

hmscott likes this.
  6. fullmetaltrousers

fullmetaltrousers Newbie

Reputations:
    Just wanted to pop in and say hi. I’m about to order a Zephyrus from HIDevolution and this post (which has nooooooothing to do with the NBR discount ) is mainly to say thanks for all the good info in this thread. You guys (plus @Donald@HIDevolution over the phone) really helped me make up my mind.

sa7ina, Vinny V., Sadiki and 2 others like this.
  7. fullmetaltrousers

fullmetaltrousers Newbie

Reputations:
    Oh hey, while I’m thinking about it: any of you use a USB to Ethernet adapter? Any suggestions? Or would you go thunderbolt? Thanks!

8. Th3GamingL0L

Th3GamingL0L Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Both the type A and type C ports on the Zephyrus are advertised as 3.1 Gen 2 so they should theoretically they should have the same speed for non thunderbolt 3 devices. Thunderbolt 3 docks with Ethernet are too bulky to carry around so a USB - Ethernet hub that supports 1Gbps should be enough.

Here's the one I am using (should've got the skinnier one): Amazon

fullmetaltrousers likes this.
  9. fullmetaltrousers

fullmetaltrousers Newbie

Reputations:
    Ah, cool. Thanks for the suggestion!

10. Jalen9762

Reputations:
    Is it possible for someone to upload the aura core for the zephyrus M I'm having an issue with it now.