*** ASUS Zephyrus M (GM501) Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Waseem.852, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Jmrow4

Jmrow4 Newbie

Reputations:
    yes i know i need to replace it soon.. im just trying to hold it for a moment.. for you how many days will it take for the delivery?

2. Jmrow4

Jmrow4 Newbie

Reputations:
    hey i just notice that you order the gpu fan not the cpu fan? i thought you have the problem with the cpu fan?

actually i think you can just detach the fan and leave the heatsink plate then put the new fan.. i think its the same

3. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    If the fan dimension and specs are identical then it can be swapped. I believe the fan is secured with tiny screws so it can be detached.

Jena_Plissken and Jmrow4 like this.
  4. Jena_Plissken

Jena_Plissken Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks all, I will order the fan then and try replacing it, and repaste the whole thing also with Phobya or Kryonaut.
    Yes, I noticed it too but I think it is a mistake from the webpage, as in theory that specific image refers to the cpu fan, not gpu. As long as the image corresponds to the actual shipped fan, it should be ok.

Last edited: May 12, 2020
    Jmrow4 and Kevin@GenTechPC like this.
  5. Jmrow4

Jmrow4 Newbie

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    Hi good day this is the zephyrus M fan maybe someone here know if the gold plate in the middle is removable? so i can service the fan? i can't seem to find any info on this on the net.. ( also is the size of the picture i uploaded is allowed? if so let me know i will resize it thank you)

6. `ThinCrusts

`ThinCrusts Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello! I've had this wonderful beast for well over 2 and a half years and it's served me great so far with barely any issues. Used it for a wild variation of experiments and tasks and it never failed to serve me right. Unfortunately, my last endeavor of me trying to learn machine learning and training a neural net for object detection, this laptop's thermal performance has been really downgraded. Any semi-heavy load would get my temps up in the high 80's and if I do try and game it's definitely going to hit the 90's for sure. The max I've had it get was 97, with only one time where it gave me the BSoD (due to undervolting, but that's for a different time).

After researching for quite a bit about all its internals and what to expect in there, I managed to get all the tools and got to open it yesterday for the first time to remove the heat-sink in order to clean the stock thermal paste and put in some Kryonaut under the CPU and GPU and stick some Arctic thermal pads around some areas as well. Of course with my luck, I had to run into a couple of issues.

My first issue was regarding a stripped screw on my left fan :) I have tried a lot of different ways to try and get it out, but I won't try and risk drilling that close to the mobo to get through the screw head and pull the rest with a plyer (Did that to a stripped screw in the middle of the underneath chassis of a Lenovo Y50 before though)..

I'm wondering if it's worth just repasting the CPU and GPU without worrying about removing the fans and the other heat-sink over the VRAMs and next to it (the copper heatsink) to change the thermal pads as well.

Would like feedback from people who have tried repasting without thermal pads, thanks!!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    PopeMuShin likes this.
  7. Jmrow4

Jmrow4 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi i just want to share what i did to my vibrating and noisy grinding fan.. i did this because i cant seem to pull the fan blade out to clean and oil the fan inside. i think many of us are having some noisy fans already. Using a syringe to put the oil (sewing machine oil is what i use) inside the fan.. lifting the blade a bit with my other hand to have a little gap to stick the syringe in. i uploaded a picture so you have an idea. also still if anyone here in the forum experienced removing the fan blade please let me know. thank you

Attached Files:

8. Jmrow4

Jmrow4 Newbie

Reputations:
    Good day everyone..i am using this laptop for two years now with the gtx1060 6gb on it.. i need your help on deciding.. i am currently thinking of of getting a external gpu for it using the thunderbolt 3 connection.. i know it will reduce the performance of the graphics card maybe by 20%.. i am thinking if its worth it or maybe just buy a new laptop? but it will spend me a lot of money.. usually i game on this laptop with AAA games like COD warfare and battlefield and the likes. i just need your opinion guys if you are not busy thank you!

9. chibikit0

chibikit0 Newbie

Reputations:
    Just wanted to put this out there for anyone who faced the same problem I did.

If anyone is using Throttlestop or similar to undervolt the CPU, please be aware that BIOS version 315 (dated 7 July 2020) locks the controls that the program needs to actually apply the undervolt. This results in your system running hotter than expected, and no amount of repasting or cleaning the fans will help.

The only solution thus far is to downgrade back to version 314 (dated 13 January 2020), which will let the undervolt work again.

This is an Intel microcode thing, implemented to protect against the Plundervolt vulnerability. The issue appears not just in our model, but also across other notebook models and notebook manufacturers. Some notebook manufacturers have provided the option to enable those controls in their BIOS updates. To date, the BIOS for our model does not have that option.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    PopeMuShin likes this.
  10. MrB86

MrB86 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Has anyone replaced the battery in this laptop? Difficult?