*** ASUS Zephyrus M (GM501) Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Waseem.852, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Waseem.852

Waseem.852 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, I recently bought my Asus ROG Zephyrus GX501 GTX1080 and now I am in need of reverting it to factory settings. I cannot find the factory settings option. Seems even my recovery drive is not working. Can anyone provide me the link to download the ISO file or the recovery files to reset it to the Factory settings with all the software (ASUS ROG Softwares) coming with the laptop? Thank you!

2. Farrukh Ahmed

Farrukh Ahmed Newbie

Reputations:
    hmscott likes this.
  3. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 nͫٴiͤٴcͫٴeͤ੮Һ૯ ცɿ૭ ૭คעٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴ

Reputations:
    don't

4. Farrukh Ahmed

Farrukh Ahmed Newbie

Reputations:
    Can you tell me why?

5. Mobius 1

Reputations:
    you're paying more for less

this cooling system is not designed to handle 45w quad cpu, let alone a 6-core

6. Farrukh Ahmed

Farrukh Ahmed Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply. Can you please explain me as I am not fimilar with terms. Can you please explain it more. The last year model had 1080 Max q and had good comments with respect to the cooling, is it due to the top part ventilation.

7. Mobius 1

Reputations:
    your "1080 max-q" is basically a 1070 notebook

you're already thermally limited, adding the 6-core cpu would result in much worse temp/performance

8. link626

link626 Asus GL502VM, Lenovo Y580, Asus K53TA

Reputations:
    Asus could have had a bombass laptop, but they f'd up the gm501 in some ways.

Pro:
    huge pro.... software switching between gsync and optimus.

I wish there were a software hack to make my GL502 switch to optimus. I hate the battery sapping gsync.

Con:
    crap port selection. No mini displayport. displayport is royalty free i think. Why did they not put in a displayport.... forcing you to buy a usb-c adapter.

9. sk3tch

sk3tch Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Seems like this is a better option in the "thin and light" category than others (the MSI Stealth Thin GS65 looks incredible but it's even smaller). Is there hate on this new model of the Zephyrus because of the past ones deficiencies? It seems the new one has addressed some of them (according to reviews) or is it just this forum's general bias against the tradeoffs for "thin and light" (which I need for work travel, not going to lug a 6-7+lb laptop in addition to my work machine)?

hmscott likes this.
  10. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    None of the current laptops with 6 core chips, whether locked or unlocked, can handle the thermals without liquid metal repasting.

Even on the GT75 Titan (which has equal cooling ability close to a properly rebalanced and repadded 17R4), HIDevolution's own tests on the unlocked i9 had it reaching 100C at stock paste with no overclock. The Alienware usually does better if the GPU isn't loaded at the same time, since then all the heatpipes can cool the CPU. But even the 17R5 reaches 95C+ WITH A KRYONAUT REPASTE.

Only Liquid metal can save these chips. And good luck with staying under 100C with liquid metal if you exceed 4 ghz on all 6 cores. (most games won't use all 12 threads. But run cinebench R15= 99C ggwp)

KY_BULLET likes this.