ASUS Zephyrus (GX501VS) or MSI Stealth Pro (GS63VR)

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by HackxBox, Sep 4, 2017.

1. HackxBox

HackxBox Newbie

Reputations:
    Similar price; same CPU; similar amount of RAM; same GPU - 1070 Max-Q. However very different look and feel; display; keyboard...

Any real-life experiences/informed opinions are welcome!

A bit more elaboration:
    1. I've read through multiple reviews and tests (including everything on the NotebookCheck <3) , and I know pretty much every detail about the 2 laptops. I would like to hear somebody's real-life experience with either.

2. I know Max-Q is crippled, but for me thin and light is more important than full performance, as I will be hauling the laptop to/form my office every day since I am using it as a workstation as well - I am a graphics/multimedia designer and I need a powerful machine with a lot of GPU horsepower. I think the MSI wins here, however NotebookCheck has pretty bad rating for Stealth Pro's screens - something that is very important to me.

3. I am currently using the highest specced HP Omen 15 1st Gen with SSD and Wi-Fi upgrades of my own, and it's aesthetics, the screen, the keyboard and the overall performance are still outstanding to the point I have a really difficult time parting with it (), so I am looking for something that is at least as exciting as it - in that regard I think the Asus is the winner.

4. I am also a casual gamer, so in the evenings this becomes my gaming rig, where I also use nVidia GameStream to my Shield TV device.
    Cheers!

2. don_svetlio

don_svetlio Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    1070MQ is closer to a 1060 than a 1070..

Vistar Shook and sicily428 like this.
  3. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It still performs arounds 20% better over the average overclocked 1060 notebook. Since the thin and light notebooks are not really meant for overclocking, the performance difference at stock is much bigger. Overclocking my gtx1060 laptop a lot, I get around 12700 in fire strike graphics, as a comparison, stock around 11.700. The Zephyrus can get around 16000.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  4. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    Which is only about 10-15% behind the 1070MQs from what I remember.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  5. Vistar Shook

Reputations:
    At stock, the difference can be up to 30%. Hard to overclock a thin and light notebook GTX1060 over 13000....so comparing it to the zephyrus graphics score of 16k, that is 23%. Considering that an overclock that high (+175/600) is not really suited for a thin and light notebook, the average performance increase is between 20-30%. Plus the OP didn´t give an option with a standard 1070, he is comparing both with a 1070MQ.

HackxBox likes this.
  6. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    Zephyrus is a 1080MQ, though. That would mean that the 1080MQ is only 23% faster than a 1060. Imagine the 1070MQ now.

7. Vistar Shook

Reputations:
    There is a Zephyrus version with 1070MQ, and the firestrike graphics of 16k, is for the zephyrus 1070MQ, not the 1080MQ, which gets 18k.

HackxBox likes this.
  8. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    Ah, that makes more sense. But still. The normal 1070 gets around 17-18K IIRC.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  9. Vistar Shook

Reputations:
    Very True. The OP only gave two options with the 1070MQ , though. There is another option which is the cheapest, Clevo P950HR. If he is willing to go a little heavier, at 5.5lbs, and little thicker, a little more expensive than the Zephyrus, 100 bucks more, there is the Aorus X5 V7 with the full GTX1070.

HackxBox and don_svetlio like this.
  10. Vistar Shook

Reputations:
    @HackxBox, can´t answer your question since I haven´t used either model. But things to consider are....the front loaded keyboard on the zyphyrus, which is not something I like personally, it does have G-sync, and as such the battery life suffers. The GS63 doesn´t have the same screen as the models in the reviews because it was upgraded to the 120Hz one. The GS63 doesn´t have g sync, comes with optimus instead, so the battery life is better. The zephyrus is quieter and seems to have a bit better thermals, but not much, also more expensive.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
    HackxBox likes this.