ASUS Zenbook UX310UQ - Does the M.2 slot support PCIe SSD?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by siutoto, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Doodie

Doodie Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

I would like to add some info to this very helpful forum; based on your feedback I replaced the SATA 450/440 MBps SSD in ASUS UX430UN i8550 to SAMSUNG EVO 960 500GB. New UX430UN supports only PCIe with 2 lanes. So speed sequential read/write is 1860MBps/1660MBps in Samsung Magician > performance bencmark.

It is good but to buy Samsung pro looks waste of money, EVO speed is more than fine (except shorter life) to this motherboard.

The installation and the move of preinstalled OS to new m.2 was a real pain. (no second m.2 slot so I cloned OS to USB disk than cloned it back to Samsung SSD, +fix MBR)

Overall result is fine. One more thing, new 960 EVO is not supported in Samsung RAPID mode by Samsung Magician 5.1.

Istvan

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
  2. bahadır

bahadır Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you for your explanation.
    But i wonder one more thing, 1 Tb version of 960 EVO is working on Asus Ux430UQ is't it?

Thanks.

3. Doodie

Doodie Newbie

Reputations:
    I added the size of 960 EVO to my post; that is 500GB. I haven't tried 1TB version.

4. bahadır

bahadır Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi again.
    I bought 960 evo 1TB version and i can see the 960 evo on my bios.

i created a bootable usb by some program but bios can not see usb.

Which program did you use to create bootable usb.

Can you explain me how can i boot my 960 evo.

Thanks.

5. Doodie

Doodie Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

If I understand well, you plan to do a fresh OS install to Samsung SSD.

USB windows image can be: BIOS BOOT , GPT for UEFI or mixed BIOS + GPT for UEFI. The RUFUS 2.4 software can create the three different kind of USB boot from *.iso. I tried all the three options and the mixed BIOS BOOT + UEFI (something similar was the name of it) boot was the winner if I remember well + use only the USB 3.0 port for booting if your stick is USB 3.0.

Don't forget to save the drivers from original OS install (c:\eSupport\eDriver\) before you drop out the original SSD.

When you will see the Samsung SSD in OS, install the latest Samsung NvME driver from Samsung web site before new reboot.

If you are satisfied with preinstalled OS and have an external m.2->USB converter for SSD copy, you can copy the preinstalled OS via USB to Samsung SSD by Samsung tools (disk copy or magician) from Samsung web site. Or there is a good disk copy tool named MiniTool Partition Wizard for disk image copy if Samsung tools will fail. This is the quickest way I guess and m.2->USB converter is only about 15$, useful if original Hynx SSD remains an external backup device.

It was a bit tricky for me as well and a lot of internet reading, sorry if I miss something or explanation is not the best, plus my case was a bit different: original SSD image was copied to USB HDD disk by Mini Partition Wizard, than I used that image to start OS and copy itself to the replaced new SSD.

Good luck!