ASUS Zenbook UX310UQ - Does the M.2 slot support PCIe SSD?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by siutoto, Sep 23, 2016.

1. siutoto

siutoto Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does M.2 slot of ASUS Zenbook UX310UQ support PCIe SSD?

Is the form factor M.2 2280?

If so, can I replace the OEM 128GB SATA SSD by Samsung 950 PRO NVMe 256GB or Plextor M8PeG 256GB?

2. siutoto

Reputations:
    Hi everyone, just want to update that i have intalled an Intel 600P 256GB in my Asus UX310UQ, working great! Read and write speed are similar to the specification.

3. Ahmet R

Ahmet R Newbie

Reputations:
    In addition to whatever disk there is already there? So do you able to use two drives at once?

4. siutoto

Reputations:
    Yes I can. I have a 2.5" Samsung 840 EVO connected to the sata, and Intel 600P connected to the M.2.

Suprisingly, the EVO achieved 5xxx MB/s in both read and write with crystaldiskmark......

5. gametime10

gametime10 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is there any place in the US to purchase this machine?

6. Vandreren

Vandreren Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi siutoto, what made you decide to try the NVMe unit? And the read/write speeds was the same as the 600P's specs or M.2 SATAIII? I have contacted Asus in my country (norway) and they couldnt say if the laptop supported it or not, because they havent "tested" it. So I couldnt find any official answer about it. I purchased a Samsung 960 Pro 512GB with the laptop, hoping that the asus representative i talked to were either lazy or clueless :p

7. siutoto

Reputations:
    Hello, the oem sandisk 128GB M2 sata was kind of slow, read was 500 and write was 280. And then i saw in a US website that they actual sell UX310 with upgrade 950 pro and extra 8GB ram. I had also tried contacting Asus US, Hong Kong and Taiwan, none could give me a solid answer......so i decided to try myself with the cheapest nvme - intel 600p. And it works according to the 600p specification on both read and write.

Let me know if 960pro works according to spec...i am waiting for the 960evo

8. Vandreren

Vandreren Newbie

Reputations:
    Sweet, glad to hear it. I will let you know as soon as i get it ;)

siutoto likes this.
  9. Vandreren

Vandreren Newbie

Reputations:
    Yo, I've now finally recieved both the laptop and the SSD. Even though I went for a Asus Zenbook UX410UQ, it has the same motherboard as the UX310UQ. Installed the SSD and are getting slower speeds than what it is rated for, only 1850/1650 MB/s on CrystalDiskMark, compared to the rated 3500/2200 MB/s. How did it go with the EVO?

10. siutoto

Reputations:
    Hello! What a shame that I have bought the UX310 too early, otherwise I would prefer the bigger screen UX410 as well. I didn't buy 960EVO as the review of this drive in Tom's Hardware was quite bad, and not a big different compared to Intel 600P. At the end I chose the 950 PRO 256GB as the system drive.

After seeing your message, I also ran my 950 PRO with CrystalDiskMark and I got 16xx/9xx MB/s. From our similar read results, I suspect that our motherboard may only support PCI3 2.0 x 4 which known to have a maximum speed of about 1.6GB/s.

Alternatively, it can also be a limitation of PCle lanes that is available from the system - my i5-6200 can only support 12 lanes, the 940MX should have taken 8 lanes, one for WIFI mini card, so only 3 lanes remians for the M.2. And the maths seems to make sense to me:
    - My 950 PRO read is 2200MB/s - each lane is 550MB/s, 3 lanes = 1650MB/s. This can also apply to your write speed.

Anyway, I will check my UX310 with HWIFO tonight and see if I can figure out something.