ASUS Zenbook UX303LB (Nvidia GT 940M)

Discussion in 'Asus' started by electro_chef, Mar 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anb8

anb8 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am trying to decide whether to buy the version with i5 5200U + FHD screen matte non-touch, or i7 5500U + FHD glossy touch screen. Has anyone compared the battery life of these two models? Is the touchscreen + i7 causing a big decrease in battery life? Also, has anyone had a chance to compare how much better is the matte non-touch screen in the daylight? I will occasionally have to use the laptop outside.

2. chankoedo

chankoedo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I would always prefer a matte panel over a glossy one. Even if the glossy display comes along with higher brightness you will never have the same visibility outside. If touch is not a must i would go with the matte one.

Btw: intel skylake is right here. Some shops already have listed the ux303 with the next generation cpus

3. anb8

anb8 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    WOW Really? That's BIG news. I have been actually having troubles finding stores with UX303LB 5500U or 5200U CPUs in stock. Anyway I thought it's too early for Skylake to arrive at this time and they just temporarily went out of stock, but I would definitely wait if it's a matter of weeks. Do you have any links?

4. anb8

anb8 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  5. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Should be nice bumps in performance for this class of device :)

6. chankoedo

chankoedo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    You mean the onboard graphics?

I guess this ultrabook will not be available before oct/nov. Somewhere around the sp4

7. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Onboard GPU will likely remain 940m. CPU however should improve power consumption and overall performance.

8. anb8

anb8 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    When you click Check Realtime Stock online here:
    http://www.lasystems.be/ASUS/90NB08...agCable802.11ACWIDIAZERTY/product/468134.html
    you get:
    Expected availability at manufacturer/supplier 23 on 11/09/2015

Which looks like right after IFA - makes some sense, we'll see what really happens.

9. Kuna

Kuna Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys!
    First of all: Thank you all for the great input you all provided here for people like me, that want to buy a new laptop. So, after reading through a great load of benchmarks, tests and your personal opinions here i bought the UX303lb on Amazon. But since the UX303UB is coming out soon i have real doubts about my decision. I am just 1 week into my purchase on amazon and can regularly give it back within those 2 weeks.

So, my question to you is, since this will be my only device for very long, since i am a student with "low" budget: Should i wait the 2 months for the UX303UB. Is it worth the hassle? Will the product give me a real bonus in performance or will it be marginal? (Is there even information about the new cpu out? Because i did not find that much myself)

Again, i am really thankful for your competent view on these things and it helped me a lot. :)

Cheers
    Kuna

10. anb8

anb8 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    According to the first 6500U benchmarks here:
    http://laptopmedia.com/news/the-new-intel-core-i7-6500u-skylake-is-already-in-our-rankings/
    the performance improvement is very small (like 10% on CPU and unclear about the on-chip GPU). For most people this will be unnoticeable. For me there are two factors: the 5500U is already not terribly fast, so any small increase helps and I just like having the latest and greatest. Still, I think this is mostly emotional :).

The factor which can actually matter is how much the battery life improves. If the improvement will be significant (e.g. +30% time on single charge), then the wait might be worth for the people who really need mobility. However, so far there is no information on this and we just don't know.

What I am waiting for is more information to be released or leak at IFA or shortly afterwards (which means in 1-2 weeks from now) and decide based on that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.