ASUS Zenbook UX303 (Nvidia GT 840M)

Discussion in 'Asus' started by [-Mac-], Mar 5, 2014.

1. Electric Shock

Electric Shock Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey guys, it's been a few years since I was here. I haven't had a new laptop since my Clevo in 2011. I just found a UX303LN refurbished in my local computer shop for ~$640. I can't find anything comparable with a 3200x1800 touchscreen and dedicated graphics in that price range and I'm debating keeping it or not.

This hinge issue is bothering me and I have until tomorrow to return it if I don't like it since it's a refurb/open box/clearance item. The problem is I can't find anything comparable in the price range.

I've read all about the hinge issues and I suspect that might have been what happened to this particular laptop in the first place as initially, I couldn't get a wifi signal at all. I opened her up and noticed that whomever did the shoddy repair had reversed the antenna connections by mistake. That's my main clue that somebody unhooked the display at some point.

However, there's no signs of stress on the hinges so they must have replaced them but I thought that in order to do that, the entire lid needed to be swapped? It looks like it has the original 2 year old lid full of scratches and a dent.

Anyway, since it looks like the hinges are still in good shape, I had the idea of reducing the torsional stress that keeps breaking the plastic by loosening the nuts on the hinges until it was just strong enough to stand up to casual touchscreen use but super loose when opening and closing. It seems that overcoming the seizing of the hinge when opening the laptop is what causes the most stress.

I disconnected the display and used a pair of pliers to slowly loosen the nuts just slightly and move the hinges by hand until I felt like there was enough relief against levering on the plastic parts of the display.

Now, I no-longer feel any resistance or any weird creaks or pops when opening the lid as I did before and the screen still stands up at any angle and works fine with a lighter finger touch. It also makes the unit easier to open.

I would recommend this "fix" to anybody who has this laptop whether in original condition or a warranty or self repair. I'm still undecided on keeping this refurb as the case was super scratched up already and there was evidence of shoddy worksmanship on the inside but I can't say no to the price (unless anybody can recommend another laptop).

2. col2gram

col2gram Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello @johnconnor92, I have exactly the same problem right now with my UX303LN. And I dont know what to do to fix it. Had you managed to solve this issue two years ago? Thank you!