ASUS Zenbook UX303 (Nvidia GT 840M)

Discussion in 'Asus' started by [-Mac-], Mar 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. charliex3

charliex3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well, there are CPUs which are made to run cool, so it is not hot nor warm, no noise - fans aren't spinning while just browsing/watching YT...
    CPU temp around 33-45 not more...

2. Ajcn

Ajcn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It's quite useful to know that you considered number of different options. I am kinda split between using the empty msata slot and replacing the main ssd. The msata is available only up to 128 gb which might be ok as I am using number of cloud based services to save documents etc but I am more concerned about the speed as compared to standard ssd. Any thoughts on that? I may end up replacing the main ssd. The physical replacement part is quite well documented and there is even a youtube video but I am not sure how to configure it. So what needs to be changed in bios and what software to use if I clone the built in ssd. Also if I do clean install how do I make up a bootable usb and how do I install the windows as there is no installation dvd provided. Do you mind writing a short "list of instructions" to address these issues please?

3. silver18

silver18 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Good afternoon to all! Could you please suggest me a good temperature monitor with a tray icon?
    Moreover, does anybody have a good screen profile made with a calibration took for a 1920x1080 screen?

Thanks!

4. ZugZug

ZugZug Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The mSATA slot is SATA III (6 Gb/s), plenty fast. Nothing to configure regarding the main drive - it's set to AHCI in BIOS and that's the only option (optimal). There's plenty of drive cloning software around, well established, hard to go wrong there. To make a bootable USB from DVD, you can first create ISO image and then use one of many ISO to USB applications. If your Windows 8/8.1 is a download version (ESD), then the downloader/installer contains an option to you to create bootable USB. There are many, many guides around.

5. Ajcn

Ajcn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply. I think the speed issue is not with the slot but with the msata half size cards. I have heard they are considerably slower than standard ssd and the normal longer msata cards. My laptop ux303ln US version did not come with a Windows 8.1 dvd so how do I go about making a bootable usb in this case?

6. TheUntouchable

TheUntouchable Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Use Backtracker from Asus

Gesendet von meinem HTC One mit Tapatalk

7. hawkeye62

hawkeye62 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Control Panel > Recovery > Create a recovery drive

Good luck, Jim

Robban1980 and Ajcn like this.
  8. Ajcn

Ajcn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks Jim! Any thoughts on using the msata half card vs replacing the main ssd for additional storage?

9. TheUntouchable

TheUntouchable Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I would only recommend to use Asus Backtracker. It will create an usb stick with only the recovery partition. With that usb stick, you can recover your new hdd or ssd like it would be after buying it with that one. It will create the C: and D: + the recovery partition on your new hdd/ssd if you use it.

Sent from my using Tapatalk

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
    Robban1980 and Ajcn like this.
  10. Ajcn

Ajcn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for your advice. I am not in front of the laptop right now. Do I have to download and install backtracker or it comes installed on the machine?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.