ASUS Zenbook UX303 (Nvidia GT 840M)

Discussion in 'Asus' started by [-Mac-], Mar 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robban1980

Robban1980 Newbie

Reputations:

If your left magnet is also weaker, then it is probably a design decision. Thanks for checking your laptop. It definitely makes it easier opening the lid :)
    I have not tested Office yet. Still trying to decide between Office 365 or Office 2013.

Ajcn likes this.
  2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    I'm not a huge fan of 365 :/

3. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    It's really hard to decide what level of magnet to be used, because it's possible that it can be weak to some but strong to a different group.
    If it's too strong then some may complain that they can't open the lid.

4. TheUntouchable

TheUntouchable Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    No problems here with office 2013 and my German ux303, using factory installation with manual updated drivers and software to latest version out there (not from Asus)

Gesendet von meinem HTC One mit Tapatalk

5. charliex3

charliex3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi Guys!

I was looking for a portable, powerful laptop with a decent battery life for about year... now I think I have fallen in love with this laptop,
    I have a version with 128GB SSD and 1080p touch screen display... i must say it is simply amazing!
    I was looking at MSI GS60 2QE with 970M but i rather chose longer battery life than power of 970M ...
    This laptop is definitely what I was looking for :)

Here's quick/short review:

Display:
    During day in a room with Brithness set to Auto that display is simply amazing! The problem starts when I set brightness to 30% still during day, I still can clearly see things displayed on the screen but I also can see my reflection what is a little bit annoying but I think I can live with that :) It's not such a big deal...
    During night, well that's when It all begins... 30% brightness ... I was watching Avatar because it is the only film I know is perfect in 1080p and also is really colorful ... nah, i wont be writing nonsense, i'll simply say it ... IT FREAKING AMAZING DISPLAY !!! I couldn't stop the movie even for a second because it was like i got right into the movie with all the characters xD
    Even with all of those positives there's one negative... Dark Scenes are a little bit problem but again it's not a big deal :)

Keyboard/Touchpad:
    I never had a laptop with backliting before so I can say it's really really handful while typing this in completly dark room while i am laying in my bed...
    It's not like MSI Steelseries but it feels premium :O I can't tell more about keyboard because I can type well on any keyboard :D Not counting Lenovo(these machines have really problematic keyboard even for me...) But again there's one negative thing about it, and that is definitely Power Button which is part of a keyboard and when I am coding I accidentaly push it when looking for delete button, but hopefully after some time I'll get used to it and stop pressing power off :D

Touchpad/clickpad or whatever it is called sometimes is not my friend... I accidentaly put my pinky to it and then I am like "why the hell isn't my mouse moving..." but I can say it's way better then any laptop I used before :)

Performance:

Well, I just tried HAWX2 and LOL so there's not much what I can tell you guys...
    Hawx2 without any problems went well on max without AA... FPS 40+
    LOL while on battery it was somewhere between 30+ FPS(nvidia) and 15-20(intel) ... playing with charger: 50+(nvidia) and during team fights it never dropped below 40

I also did 3DMark benchmarks so here they are: NVIDIA GeForce 840M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4510U,ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. UX303LN

Temperatures:

Idle/Light browsing: CPU max 40-50°C GPU: off
    Gaming: CPU max 75°C GPU: also around 70°C
    Benchmarks: same as gaming and it also never went higher then 75°C without any throttling...

Chassis: Was getting warmer around number "9" button but that's all, no problems at all even when gaming :)

Noise:
    What noise? :D even when gaming it was completly silent :D I was able to hear that fans are on but it was like whispering :D

Battery life:
    Idle: 9+ hours (Backlight off, Brightness 30%)
    Webbrowsing: 6+ hours (Backlight 30%, Brightness 30%)
    Gaming(LOL): around 2 and a half ... I was able to play 2x 5v5 Summoners Rift(both around 50minutes) + 2x ARAM(ca 10-20minutes games)
    Movie watching: That's what also amazed me, I watch way more movies then game so it was the main thing I concerned about... I was able to watch 5x 20minutes series + 2x 90minutes movies what is ca 4.5 hours of movie watching ! + 15-30minutes reserve for little usage :O

Chassis:

I should have start with that :D
    Feels pretty solid and premium... nothing more I can tell you :)

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me :)

6. Stoned Hippy

Stoned Hippy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Bought my UX303LN the other day and am very happy with it.

Immediately after buying I swapped out the SSD for a 1TB Samsung 840 Evo, installed a clean copy of Windows 8, upgraded to 8.1, installed all the Asus drivers from their webpage and started using the laptop.

I noticed immediately that my battery was running down very fast (estimated time was around 2 hours). I did some searching here and found that the Asus Smart Gesture app might be the problem so I uninstalled that, sadly there was no change (or perhaps imperceptibly small).

I've installed battery bar and now, as I type with wifi on, screen brightness at 50%, performance mode at balanced it tells me i'm using 14,329mw.

I've read other people reporting 5 - 6,000mw in similar usage situations to mine. Does anyone have any idea where the extra power is going and how to fix it?

Many thanks.

7. charliex3

charliex3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Your Nvidia is probably active. If you are using Chrome or Steam check if it's set to use Intel graphics and not nvidia :)

8. Ajcn

Ajcn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi What drivers did you update? And what software to the latest version?

9. Stoned Hippy

Stoned Hippy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Good suggestion but sadly not the case. I checked the settings in the Nvidia app in the control panel and Chrome was set to use the integrated graphics card. Just to make sure I disabled the nvidia card completely but this also didn't solve the problem.

The absolute lowest draw i've seen on my battery, no applications open screen setting on minimum, wifi on is 9,300mW.

Any other suggestions?

10. Lilki

Lilki Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes, please! If somebody could compile a list of drivers that can be updated that would be very much appreciated!
    I only updated the NVIDIA driver because I don't know which other drivers can be updated and where to go to find them (Intel?).

Thank you very much!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.