*** ASUS ZenBook Pro UX550 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Phoenix, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Henryvi

Henryvi Newbie

Reputations:
    I bought this at official Asus Shop @ Hong Kong

hmscott likes this.
  2. link626

link626 Asus GL502VM, Lenovo Y580, Asus K53TA

Reputations:
    coil whine is something we have to live with with these new gen intel cpus.

When I first got my gl502vm, it was dead silent. then after break in, so much coil whine. Chirping coil whine when idle, and persistent coil whine when cpu at load.
    Basically non stop coil whine.

Then I used the windows registry to disable some C states, and the idle coil whine is 90% better, almost unnoticeable, but I know this is only a bandaid.
    cpu at load (performance mode) still whines, but there's no point using high performance mode during idle.
    When the cpu is really loaded, the fans drown out the coil whine.

Right now, with these workarounds, it's a lot more tolerable.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  3. okwei

okwei Newbie

Reputations:
    Do you know it as a fact? XPS 15 has a regular power jack, and I have always used with a USB-C charge. How it won't? this would be a deal breaker for me, why implemented a USB-C without power delivery?

4. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Because USB C charging has a limit of 100W (20V, 5A) and most notebooks that have a dGPU don´t implement the charging feature. Although technically the USB C could charge the laptop battery when off, or when not using the dGPU, it could cause serious issues when the notebook is under load, and thus safer for all consumers if that feature is just disabled. The feature is mostly present in ultrabooks with ULV processors with no dGPU because certainly the 100W limit is more than enough.

senpaiju likes this.
  5. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Vistar Shook likes this.
  6. RnBeer

RnBeer Newbie

Reputations:
    I got mine few days ago, here in the Philippines. So far, things are good. I can't say there is a flex on the keyboard at all. There is however a weaker part on the upper side of the keyboard, where the "Harman Kardon" is etched. If you purposely press HARD on that, it will flex a bit. But I don't think that will be a part of any laptop normal use :) Overall, chassis feels solid.

It is however annoying that only one version was released here officially - UX550VE-BO031T

i7 770HQ
    FHD (1920 x 1080), Touch
    1050Ti
    16GB RAM
    512GB SSD SATA (yep SATA)
    NO finger print sensor

The SSD is what am worried about now. I want to know if my m.2 slot would be able to support PCIe NVME SSDs if and when I decide to upgrade to a bigger capacity SSD. I overlooked this because almost all sites say it should be PCIe (NVME). I also cant see any selection in the BIOS to choose from SATA to PCIe interface. Am wondering what other owners here see in their BIOS page.

7. senpaiju

senpaiju Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Great to hear that more people are getting the laptop now. And I must say this is an interesting configuration you got there, how hard would be to put the fingerprint scanner on all of the models..?
    It was the same in Bulgaria, only one model got released(i7, 8gb ram,512gb non-touch FHD).
    I still haven't been in BIOS, actually restarted the pc only two times for a month for update. But the Windows startup time is blazing fast. I'll do it as soon as I get home tonight and will tell you if there is any option you can choose from.

I will ask you one question as I did with the other guys, have you tried the laptop in a quiet environment/room and if 'yes' is there noticeable coil whine?

8. RnBeer

RnBeer Newbie

Reputations:
    I haven't noticed any coil whine from the day I used it. I don't know if it is just because am not stressing it to a certain level.

Re the SSD, I have found my answer. I tried transferring a PCIE (nVME) to the UX550VE from my other laptop. It was detected and a menu "NVME Settings" appeared in the Advanced BIOS settings. So, I can now rest assured that what was released in the Philippines with SSD SATA only from factory, can accept PCIE nvME in the future.

9. Eason

Eason Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I can't understand the configurations for this laptop. Only worse models in blue - no touch screen in asia... what the ****? I should be getting my UX550VE soon from HIDevolution which I will be comparing to a stock unit from ASUS as well as the non-touch 1050 variant.