*** ASUS ZenBook Pro UX550 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Phoenix, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Oh my. What a poop-a-licious treat! Tie me up and spank me, that's just too awesome.

Glue might be more effective and then nobody could void the warranty by changing thermal paste. :vbthumbsup:

2. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Solder would work. You could probably get better temp as well:cool: win win:) See... Intel used solder under IHS before. Worked brilliant. Intel's new paste instead of solder under the lid is trash.

Mr. Fox and Vistar Shook like this.
  3. link626

link626 Asus GL502VM, Lenovo Y580, Asus K53TA

Reputations:
    That review is awful.

I looked at the chassis, and they went back to the ux501jw design without underside vents. So where is it sucking in cool air? from the warm exhaust in the back?

I'm glad I didn't wait for the ux550.

the chassis cripples the 7700hq so much, even my 6700hq outperforms it. Not being able to use stock clock of 2.8ghz is terrible.

They should stop trying to copy Apple, and put some big fat fan grilles at the bottom.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  4. SympathyRS

SympathyRS Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have a few questions for owners of the UX550VE model...

How is the battery life on this thing with the 1050Ti and does it charge over usb-c like with a MBP charger or Samsung S8 charger? Everyday usage and gaming numbers would be appreciated since I plan to go to uni with this laptop...

Is the TB3 ports pcie x4, like will it run at full speed if I plug in an eGPU? I'm a bit concerned because it has two TB3 ports, so I'm wondering how the lane distribution will be...

Is the plastic internal construction a concern? Because coming from a unibody rMBP, I'm wondering if it will flex or make creaking noises...

I'm interested in getting this since its $13k HKD ( around $1,660 USD) and the specs seems to be a lot more tempting than what you get from the XPS 15 (Except for the battery capacity) or the new rMBP which is expensive af... Thank you.

5. senpaiju

senpaiju Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

I'll try to tell you my experiences so far.
    I couldn't charge it over my phone charger but it might be a bit weak, anyway there is no indication that is trying to charge.
    The battery is great, if you leave at 1000% in the morning and all day you are using office/web/programming applications it will last until the night. The charger on the other hand is a bit bulky so you have to see for yourself what is more convenient. For gaming you will need it as it will last between 1-2 hours on demanding games. I imagine if you're playing heroes of might and magic 3 it will last the whole day :)
    If you tell me how to test the pcie lanes I will do it, so far I haven't used eGPU with the laptop. Dirt 4 on high settings is running around 60fps on the 1050ti.
    I'm not sire what plastic construction you're talking about but mine is quite sturdy overall.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  6. SympathyRS

Reputations:
    Thanks for your reply. I pulled the trigger and bought it yesterday. I don't have a type-c Macbook Pro charger but I will try to test charging using my S8 charger. Overall, it is a solid construction but I do feel some keyboard flex compared to my old Retina Macbook Pro. The specs are nice but I feel the battery is consumed faster than my Macbook but that may be due to the bigger battery. I thing I hate the most is the charger for this thing, so bulky compared to what I am used to.

I don't have ways to test the pcie lanes myself but I do plan to get a eGPU in the future, so knowing the lanes would be a plus for me. From what I see online, sources say pcie x4 but just curious if that is shared between the two ports or each individual one has x4 pcie lanes.

7. senpaiju

Reputations:

Nice to hear that you have got one!
    I personally got used to keyboard in a couple of days and the minor flex is not a huge issue for me.
    The charger is indeed big but I guess it is because of the graphics card.

One question I have for you is if you have some coil whine noise? I have some in mine and I hear it in quiet environment only but I was wondering how is are the rest of the motherboards and if there is a point sending it to service.

8. SympathyRS

Reputations:
    I haven't been in an environment that is too quiet, but I don't seem to notice any coil whine.

I need to find a friend who owns a new MacBook Pro to try out their charger on our laptops. I wish it had an even bigger battery like the XPS 15.

EDIT: I think I notice coil whine when gaming. I played a few sections of Overwatch and I noticed a hissing sound that is like a HDD spinning. It is actually quite noticeable at times. I may see if I can exchange it if it annoys me too much.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  9. senpaiju

Reputations:

Yes, I have the same when gaming but once the fans kick in I dont hear it very much, more importantly I get some buzzing when fanless and browsing in chrome for example, that is audiable.
    I would appreciate if you have the time to check if you have it in your unit.
    Afterall this place here is much better for exanging info than Asus customer service(the reply that I got after asking about the coil whine was to try and reinstall Windows and see if that helps ;)))))))

hmscott likes this.
  10. SympathyRS

Reputations:
    I do hear some buzzing noise, but I would have to but my ear next to the keyboard to hear it. I haven't noticed it while using it today, like going to classes and such. The buzzing noise is a lot more severe while gaming but then the fans ramping up helps to subdue most of it.