*** ASUS ZenBook Pro UX550 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Jun 23, 2017.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yup, it looks like that site only has the GTX 1050 model for order, the GTX 1050ti VE model search only turns up the 1050 model today:

https://www.digitec.ch/de/Search?q=Asus+ux550ve

2. Roger Dillon

Roger Dillon Newbie

Reputations:

Thanks for your report on the new GX550. I'm looking forward to getting one. What screen did you get 1080p or UHD screen? How does it look
    Gaming will be faster with 1080p. Also, how about temps during gaming or other high cpu/gpu activity? What temps are you getting?

rkd_k4h likes this.
  3. Dan@Dan

Dan@Dan Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    This notebook looks like a candidate for dbrand skins, if they every make any. Sometime i do wonder when the designers decided to put sleeping pills in to the engineers beer to make a near perfectly balanced machine that gets carried around so disgustingly prone to fingerprints. Don't get me wrong, it looks dope. I hope we will see some reviews including the ROG XG Station 2 with a beefy GPU inside and not to many pictures of a fatty surface.

Using geizhals.eu to search a large number of eu based shops for the UX550VE turned up with nothing. Looks like digitec is currently the only shops offering the new UX550 but in the lower spec.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    hmscott likes this.
  4. senpaiju

senpaiju Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

I think as of now only FHD is available worldwide, honestly they really took their time supplying the machine, I guess the top model is not coming for at least another month. The screen is fine but I get plenty of scaling problems in windows even with the native OS programs. Last year I thought that it's because if the higher resolution but here is almost the same on the FHD. Quite annoying to be honest, my sister got a yoga 720 with almost identical parameters but a touch screen and I haven't seen one blurry application.

Still struggling with the games because there is a huge issue with utorrent here(it might be just my home network but I get disconnected every 3-5min and it just stays there without any traffic). I read some forums threads and there are fixes but it involves reprogramming the MTU packets and it's the first time I get to that point.

** ethernet port(adapter) is working fine though, but another thing is that here there is only 8GB RAM model and today with 2 chrome wondows and HoMM VII it got up to 79% usage. I'm worried and I really wanted 16GB ram but there is just no option so far..

***in task manager about RAM it is stated: Slots used: 2of4 but Im 99% sure the ram is soldered to the motherboard

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    rkd_k4h likes this.
  5. rkd_k4h

rkd_k4h Newbie

Reputations:
    How is the gaming? How does the unit handle heat and air flow?

6. senpaiju

senpaiju Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Asked for a replacement today because the wifi issue, I hope that my home network was the problem but we'll see. My sister got the new yoga 720 and with the same wifi adapter there is no suck problem..
    I'll post more when I get the new unit..

7. rkostadinov

rkostadinov Newbie

Reputations:
    I am also from Bulgaria and just saw that at one particular shop they offer a 16GB option. You can get it from there? I mean Laptop BG. I am still waiting for reviews because i am worried about the thermals and the coil whine. Can you share more info when you receive yours again?

8. rkd_k4h

rkd_k4h Newbie

Reputations:
    I hope your replacement resolved the issue. Let us know how it goes.
    Thanks

9. Sugil1844

Sugil1844 Newbie

Reputations:
    Can someone check if the thunderbolt 3 on this thing is 2 or 4 PCIe lane?

10. Dan@Dan

Dan@Dan Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Since it's listed as supported device for the Asus g station 2, I'd guess it's 4 lane. The better question would be: is it directly connected to the cpu?