*** ASUS ZenBook Pro UX550 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Jun 23, 2017.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The light bleed doesn't look that bad, he shouldn't see it in normal use.

Coil whine was on his XPS laptop too, he even said he might be suseptible to it due to his sensitivity running in a totally quiet room.

Otherwise it looks good :)

"hpthetallguy[S] 1 point 8 hours ago
    Cooling is better than the XPS 9560. First thoughts when I fired up Fallout 4, was that the fans ran a lot quieter than on the XPS. And the machine itself ran much cooler during load, so they have figured out the cooling better than Dell.

It's alright in use. I like the speakers and the keyboard is imo comfy to write on. Haven't tested for throttling, yet."
    https://www.reddit.com/user/hpthetallguy

Don't panic over one review, more people will review it moving forward.

Jolga77 likes this.
  2. tinytop69

tinytop69 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm not totally giving up on the laptop, and I will be keeping an eye on it very closely, as should everyone else who is in the market for a slim yet powerful laptop.

I do hope that the pros outweigh the cons while at the same time justifying its cost, but I'm just managing my expectations. The video with the coil whine was very audible to me (I understand the video isn't a 1:1 representation of what I would hear when I'm actually face to face) , and the fear of getting an XPS with coil whine is one of the big reasons I haven't pulled the trigger on it already. I can't stand high pitched sounds. Totally OK with fan noise however.

The silver lining for me is the point that you quoted. reason #2 for staying away from the XPS was because of the throttling/cooling issues. I would be ecstatic if this unit had efficient cooling.

I'm sure it will be a decent laptop for sure, but for a premium price, I was hoping for a more polished premium product.

Jolga77 and hmscott like this.
  3. Dan@Dan

Dan@Dan Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  4. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Thanks for the heads up :)

Those all list the GPU as 1050, with a very wide range of cost, maybe they left off the "ti" for 1050ti on the top 2 cost models?

5. chewietobbacca

chewietobbacca Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Like others, I'm eagerly awaiting to see some more reviews on the UX550.

Honestly, out of the issues raised, the coil whine is the only one that gets me. That would be hard to live with for long term

Light bleed may just be based on certain units and/or display configurations. And keyboard flex was never something I cared much about as long as the keyboard itself was fine during actual use - I mean, if I push down hard enough on my old MacBook Pro or XPS15, I'd be able to make it flex a lot too but they have no effect on actual typing

The UX550VD is the 1050 model. The VE is the one with the 1050 Ti

Hoping to see when the US models start coming out

6. Dan@Dan

Dan@Dan Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The 3 they offer are the UX550VD, aka GTX1050. The variations come from the SSD sice. Bit unusual high price deltas. Will probably be adjusted on release.

hmscott likes this.
  7. senpaiju

senpaiju Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys!
    I got mine fresh today ! :)
    I'll try to explain my story and give you a short review of what I have noticed so far.

First, I have been waiting for this laptop for oven an year! I bought a UX501VW last May and it was a beast(4k, max ram, max hdd) but I returned it after a month because of that pesky coil whine. I just couldnt stand it in a quiet room, so here is the first fact from me: even though there is a very week coil whine here in normal conditions you have to put your year next to the keyboard in order to hear it. So far I don''t think its soooo bad(haven't tried to push it to the max, still downloading games..).
    Second, there is a slight bend on top of the keyboard but typing is a breeze and there is no flex at least for me, you have to push to see it bend(understand your concerns here but this is far from a dealbraker for me ).
    The build quality so far is better than last year, no flex around besides that top keyboard plate, trackpad is smooth and recognizes all gestures so far. Haven't tested the screenbleed but to be honest I don't realy care about it..
    I can open the lid with one hand and the max open angle is enough for me.
    The charger brick is a bit big but this a beast after all :))

I got mine with a extra bag as an accessory which was a nice surprise, the only compromise that i made was that the only model here(Bulgaria) is with 8gb RAM, I really wanted the 16GB one but I could't wait more.

Please ask if you have questions! I personally was eager to find someone to give more info for the last month(checking youtube daily for reviews and so on), not to mention that after I returend the last year model I have been waiting patiently until this day comes :)

Greetings, J

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    Jolga77 and hmscott like this.
  8. todoralexandrov

todoralexandrov Newbie

Reputations:
    Does it come with an Ethernet USB adapter.

9. chewietobbacca

chewietobbacca Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Happy to hear that info. How is the rest of the build quality? And what kind of battery life are you getting? How is the screen too?

10. senpaiju

senpaiju Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The build quality is perfect for me, hinge and chassis are solid, fingerprints are noticeable under certain angle but I like to keep my things clean so microfiber is a must.
    Im on the second battery charge now and with wifi, torrent and installations + chrome all the time I think I got around 6-7 hours(haven't tasted it properly though).
    Screen is crisp and veeery bright, I'm using it on around 15-20%. About color accuracy and other professional levels I can't say much. Don't have the software or need to test it.
    Installing Dirt4 soon so I can say a bit more about the performance/temps then ;)

And yes, It comes with ethernet adaprer to usb2...