*** ASUS ZenBook Pro UX550 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Ultra Male, Jun 23, 2017.

1. donalec

donalec Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i'll probably buy the ux550g and try to find a lasercut business owner who can do the modding in the bottom panel for me.

2. hb720x

hb720x Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Any hands on videos or the like on the new ASUS Zenbook Pro UX550GE/GD?

3. virtuousbook

virtuousbook Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I haven't seen any yet, but is the GE really only being manufactured for the Philippines for now? Design is nearly identical too the UX500VE with a few minor changes. Cooling system looks exactly the same which is troubling... In AIDA64 Extreme stress testing all components at max (internalGPU, dedicatedGPU, CPU, memory, everything but one box checked[a little extreme in hindsight should have just stressed the CPU and Dedicated GPU probably), the GPU in my unit without a cooling pad actually holds it's base clock but does get throttled from it's boost clock so at this point the boost clock doesn't do much of anything in testing. I still love the laptop, it appears to me all the ports on the sides of the laptop are the intake, so if you are using every port, where is the air coming from........... o_O I really want to open my unit up, re-paste it, add some quality thermal pads to transfer heat to the aluminum base over the gpu, cpu, memory, fsb, and see if I can actually utilize the boost clock. The CPU throttling was extremely depressing, bringing my CPU core speed after hitting 96 degrees C, down to 1Ghz and throttling in that range closely to maintain 75 degrees celcius. The GPU throttled to it's base clock to maintain 80 degrees Celsius. With the cooling pad the GPU performed about the same, but the CPU held up a bit better, and I'll post some numbers I quickly jotted down, both were 15minutes of AIDA 64 Extreme stress testing everything at once, which probably wasn't the best method actually in hindsight. On top of a repaste and thermal pads, I would like to add some vent holes to the sides, it behooves me to think about why ASUS wouldn't do that in the first place. I love the laptop looks and performs great but there is some simple engineering that could have been done to really improve it's performance with no effect on aesthetics.

4. virtuousbook

Reputations:
    Zenbook Pro UX550VE Stress Testing
    Without cooling pad
    CPU

Max temp 98 degrees C – starts throttling once it hits 95C it seems, then brings temps down to stable 75C – if it can be kept under 90 degrees, we could see major improvement in performance because it goes into like a thermal emergency throttle down to 75C after 95C or so and stabilizes there until reboot.

Stabilized 1097Mhz – 75 degrees C

Bus 99.8MHz

GPU 1569MHz

GPU Mem 1752MHz

Stabilized at this clock (base clock) at 80C

With cooling pad
    CPU:

Max temp 97, max throttle 28%

Stabilized 1400MHz – 75 degrees C

Bus clock 99.8MHz

GPU

Clock 1620MHz

Mem 1752 MHz

Stabilized at this clock (base clock) at 79C

This was a quick summary, I have things to attend to would like to see if anyone else has done any mods but haven't found anything but an amateur re-paste on reditt

5. donalec

donalec Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Holy christ, what are your thoughts on UX580? i personally loved it

6. virtuousbook

Reputations:
    I'm in love! Oh my god, looks sexy AF. I want it. Might have to sell my UX550VE it's basically brand new. I really wish they would have just thrown an i5 8th gen with 6 cores and a 1060 GPU though! That i9 is just overkill, and a 1050TI is a little underkill! Sounds like a heat generator, hopefully they have better thermal design, playing Destiny 2 it struggles to hold 60FPS on my UX550VE. Basically unplayable after playing on a 144hz monitor with a GTX 1080 and i7 7700K both liquid cooled. I've been brainstorming a way to cut ventholes, repaste, add some thermal pads to dissipate heat onto the metal bottom that way my cooling pad could make quick work of it, but it's pretty frustrating. I think it runs any game that's not a modern graphically intensive FPS, but still bothers me that they didn't pay a little bit more attention to the thermal design even though they boasted so much about its efficacy. That being said, I honestly don't think I will ever buy a laptop that ASUS has not made and will for sure not by any other mother board than an ROG beast from ASUS for quality, functionality, AND aesthetics. I know this is not a gaming laptop, but they did so well at packing high-power components into the UX550VE, it makes me wonder, is the thermal throttling helping the battery life?? A bit of sarcasm there, but a couple of vents on the side and some cooling pads would have been nice. Also I would like to see the BIOS unlocked, but that's pretty standard with laptops even some gaming laptops are locked up pretty absurdly. Anyway, done ranting, I want to do some modding and repasting and then playing around with underclocking a little bit to see if I can push off that thermal throttle issue. The coil whine doesn't bother me because it is only when a game or app is ramping up and once it stabilizes, all I hear is fan. Please ASUS release a i5 8th gen, GTX 1060 model, and add some more thermal solutions! <3

7. virtuousbook

Reputations:
    I'm in love! Oh my god, looks sexy AF. I want it. Might have to sell my UX550VE it's basically brand new. I really wish they would have just thrown an i5 8th gen with 6 cores and a 1060 GPU though! That i9 is just overkill, and a 1050TI is a little underkill! Sounds like a heat generator, hopefully they have better thermal design, playing Destiny 2 it struggles to hold 60FPS on my UX550VE. Basically unplayable after playing on a 144hz monitor with a GTX 1080 and i7 7700K both liquid cooled. I've been brainstorming a way to cut ventholes, repaste, add some thermal pads to dissipate heat onto the metal bottom that way my cooling pad could make quick work of it, but it's pretty frustrating. I think it runs any game that's not a modern graphically intensive FPS, but still bothers me that they didn't pay a little bit more attention to the thermal design even though they boasted so much about its efficacy. That being said, I honestly don't think I will ever buy a laptop that ASUS has not made and will for sure not by any other mother board than an ROG beast from ASUS for quality, functionality, AND aesthetics. I know this is not a gaming laptop, but they did so well at packing high-power components into the UX550VE, it makes me wonder, is the thermal throttling helping the battery life?? A bit of sarcasm there, but a couple of vents on the side and some cooling pads would have been nice. Also I would like to see the BIOS unlocked, but that's pretty standard with laptops even some gaming laptops are locked up pretty absurdly. Anyway, done ranting, I want to do some modding and repasting and then playing around with underclocking a little bit to see if I can push off that thermal throttle issue. The coil whine doesn't bother me because it is only when a game or app is ramping up and once it stabilizes, all I hear is fan. Please ASUS release a i5 8th gen, GTX 1060 model, and add some more thermal solutions! <3

8. virtuousbook

Reputations:
    Sorry didn't mean to double post, I'm not sure what happened.

9. Support.4@XOTIC PC

Support.4@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Interested to know as well!

10. Sir Punk

Sir Punk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So is the coil whine not a solvable issue? I am thinking of getting the 256gb , i5 model.

Also, is there a smaller/lighter power adapter?

I will not do much gaming, mainly for work.