*** ASUS ZenBook Pro UX550 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Ultra Male, Jun 23, 2017.

1. poipo

poipo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The coil whine also happens browsing, with the power supply connected.
    It is obviously thta if you use a earphone, you won´t hear it, but I think it is unacceptable in a current computer.
    I´ve finally returned it to amazon.

it´s a pity.

2. backslashfr

backslashfr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi !
    Any other people have coil whining or thermal throttling issue ? Is it the case for everybody ?
    This UX550 is slightly cheaper than the gigabyte Aero 15 or the upcoming new Dell XPS 15, which I am also interested in, but those issues are clearly disappointing !
    (and i can't think of an UX550 with the new Intel Coffee Lake... it will certainly be worse !)

12-7DN likes this.
  3. TheChristoph99

TheChristoph99 Newbie

Reputations:
    hi everyone, I'm new here in this forum. I own the ux550vd with the i7 7700hq and gtx 1050 4gb ram 16gb. I've own the laptop since november 2017. I love the laptop as it's small and under 2.5 kg (with power brick), but still powerfull enough to play some heavy games. the speakers are great and I'm okay with the keyboard (not too nit picky with the keyboard). I am however having issues with the trackpad, the trackpad would misclicks and sometimes has a mind of its own. they don't have palm rejection and are quite sensitive with the inputs (it will crack up if you have 2 fingers or even part of your skin or sometimes other objects touching the surface, whilst using the tracpad), mostly I use a mouse or clean the trackpad when I wana use it, which is anonying.

I'm also having thermal throtteling issues, but not as bad as everyone says. the temps are very high often reaching 85-90 degree. Im not sure if the cpu is throttling but the gpu is throttling from 1700 Mhz to 1500 Mhz ( rarely reaches 1200 Mhz). I am looking for a solution for the heat issues as even with the laptop not throtteling as bad I do want to reduce the heat.

I've already repaste the laptop with arctic silver 5 but the thermal seems to not change that much (though I dont have a before and after benchmarks). I want to try to benchmark with the bottom plate off to see if it will improve the thermals, but if I remove the bottom plate the laptop wont turn on. maybe someone can help me with this. if adding vent holes helps with the thermal maybe I can 3d print a bottom plate or just buy a sparepart and drill holes on it. cheers

4. virtuousbook

virtuousbook Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I don't really understand all the negative feedback about the UX550VE. Make sure you have updated the BIOS, updated both Nvidia and CPU graphics, Networking, IME if available, and you have a super light-weight, well-engineered design, with amazing battery life for having a 1050TI in it. Plus you get get 4 lanes PCIe TB3 connection for future GPU upgrades, albeit 2 ports share one controller, that's pretty much the standard unless it has quad TB3 connections, meaning 4 ports, 2 controllers, x8 lanes total. Keyboard is nice to type on, and display is very radiant, reflection is present but minimal unless in direct sunlight. Trackpad works great, I can't see a better deal for a laptop in this archetype. I heard one instance of "coil whine," a static sound coming from the fans and it was gone. The fans are super quiet to me even running Destiny 2 on full load it plays well. I am usually on my desktop, and with all my fans throttled down to 600RPMS, the laptop is still quieter (dual AIO water pumps could be the main source of noise). I had high expectations for this laptop and my needs were all met. I had very LOW expectations for the Havik laptop cooling pad that I suspected inflated reviews on Amazon. I was pleasantly surprised, basically eliminate thermal throttling for $20 and a slim, design. ASUS Zenscreen portable IPS display in the notebook sleeve in my backpack, and I can fit the Havik pad with 2 books and two binders. After all this good there has to be a catch right? The power supply is a brick. But it also charges extremely fast. No charging via USB-C which is the only real thing I am going to miss when I upgrade my desktop GPU and insert my GTX 1080 into an enclosure. USB-C charging could avoid carrying that brick of a power supply. But it's a pretty trivial issue. Maybe I got lucky, or the careful updates to various devices firmware's, drivers, software, and BIOS fixed some of the issues people are complaining about. Lastly, I thought I got a bad touch pad at first because of the slight tactile response when you tap it. But I've since grown to really appreciate the psychological response to it. Imagine turning off the tactile feedback on your smartphone when you're texting, etc. You wouldn't know how you lived without it 10 years ago haha. Here's a pic of my Zenbook Pro UX550VE. Edit: I guess I can't embed images, wait, Yes I Can! To avoid spamming, here's the link to the rest of the images and my desktop build: https://imgur.com/a/G1dlKHR
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  5. donalec

donalec Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  6. backslashfr

backslashfr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes!
    I tryed to do a table to resume all this new thin laptops with gaming capacities (in French)

[​IMG]

donalec and Arondel like this.
  7. Support.1@XOTIC PC

Support.1@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    These temps are still considered within the "normal" range. Are you testing these temps under stress?

8. TheChristoph99

TheChristoph99 Newbie

Reputations:
    if i used prime95 it reaches around 89 - 92, but if i used unigen heaven its about 80 - 90
    i know they're not really gonna blow up or anything, it's just gonna be better if It had better temps so that the gpu boost can be activated

9. virtuousbook

Reputations:
    Their designs are unparalleled, cooling needs serious attention. I don't see the point in the specs though, downgrade the GPU for an i9, then add a 4k display that the GPU will not be able to keep up with. I'll stick with my UX550VE.

10. virtuousbook

Reputations:
    Has anyone tried modding anything yet? I'm interested in trying to make strategically positioned vents by getting out a dremel tool or similar. It seems like the intake vents are shared with the top or bottom speaker? We need to get some modders with experience, I can't even figure out how to unlock the BIOS. A cooling pad helps alot though, I'll upload my benchmarks stress testing with and without cooling pad so you can see the results. I am surprised by the cheap Havic cooling pad for which I had very low expectations for and actually like it a lot.