*** ASUS ZenBook Pro UX550 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Phoenix, Jun 23, 2017.

1. berniebennybernard

berniebennybernard Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    5-6 hours for browsing and word processing from my experience of owning it.

hb720x and hmscott like this.
  2. hb720x

hb720x Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That seems disappointing, as I was able to get approximately 10-11 hours with normal usage on the Dell XPS 15 9560 FHD 97whr. Would have expected 7-8 for this.

3. Phone_Slinger

Phone_Slinger Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    About the thermal throttling, I ran cs go at high graphic got like 220-260fps then after 5mins it drops to 120-200 but I don’t really see a drop in any other game like gta 5 or r6 I’m not sure if it’s the cpu or gpu throttling I undervolted both of them so yea

hmscott likes this.
  4. Phone_Slinger

Reputations:
    Alright guys with the thermal throttling issue it only burdens me on one game
    So at the start of my cs go gaming session it runs at 220-260fps at high graphic then after like 5mins it drops to 120-200 the whole gaming session

5. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    That's an old problem, as old as cs:go, it takes all the CPU it can and heats up the CPU if you let it run with unlimited FPS.

You can smooth out the performance by limiting the FPS either in game or externally with RTSS or other Frame Limiter.

Is it possible to permanently limit FPS in CS:GO?
    http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2700943/permanently-limit-fps.html

MSI Afterburner
    Download the latest version of MSI Afterburner here.
    https://www.msi.com/page/afterburner##downloads

From your numbers I'd say set the limit to 225, and see if that will remain constant - it won't get hot enough to thermal throttle if you pick the right number - a little higher number runs a little hotter, a little lower number runs a little cooler. Find a setting that remains constant throughout your entire session.

You can also use Task Manager using Core Affinity (right click on process) externally to disable core/threads running for CS:GO, I recommend the odd numbers, or even numbers to simulate selecting cores over threads, but it doesn't really matter, just disable 1/4 or 1/2 the cores/threads available to the Steam control software so that when it forks a CS:GO game it will inherit those limitations.

If your CPU will allow core multiplier settings you can reduce a couple of cores to a few X less, say for example 40x, 40x, 36x, 36x... it may take some playing around and long sessions to find the right mix for high single thread performance vs multicore thermal load.

Have fun :)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  6. Phone_Slinger

Reputations:
    Thanks men

hmscott likes this.
  7. berniebennybernard

berniebennybernard Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Can confirm that USB-C charging does not work. Tested with an Apple 87W USB-C charger.

hmscott likes this.
  8. Phone_Slinger

Reputations:
    Right for some reason my cpu’s clock speed drops when I’m launching a game, and then for like 10 secs it goes back to normal

9. Phone_Slinger

Reputations:
    Alright guys one more problem power limit throttling

10. Phone_Slinger

Reputations:
    I turned off turbo boost it stays at 3.4 now but at least it doesn’t throttle