*** ASUS ZenBook Pro UX550 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Phoenix, Jun 23, 2017.

1. RnBeer

RnBeer Newbie

Reputations:
    Has anyone bought a thunderbolt 3 hub/docking station for the UX550? Am planning to buy one, one that supports power delivery (PD) for my future devices supporting Thunderbolt 3 (&PD).

I understand that the UX550 DOES NOT charge via the USB-C ports. That is actually my worry. Would a Thunderbolt 3 station like this, not harm the UX550 if it sends power to the laptop via USB-C / Thunderbolt port while the laptop is also plugged via the original power adapter?

2. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I use mine with a Mantiz Venus. Thunderbolt isn't that stupid; it won't send power in when the laptop doesn't ask for it.

3. Robert_lj

Robert_lj Newbie

Reputations:
  4. bheremans

bheremans Newbie

Reputations:
    Can the laptop be equiped with a PCIE and sata ssd at the same time ? What size is the sata disk ?
    Thx

5. hb720x

hb720x Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This laptop only has one m.2 ssd slot, which, based on different global variants, can come with either an nvme or sata m.2 ssd.
    The thread for this laptop seems mostly dead, and the laptop has very limited availability, even in November. It's very disappointing. I wonder what Black Friday and beyond has in store, as a nice discount would be enticing, along with better availability, hopefully. What is going on with Asus? In the meantime, the Gigabyte Aero 15 has become my preferred choice in my search for a compact and powerful 15 inch laptop.

6. Redteam

Redteam Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hey Eason, great summary thanks.

I'm trying to decide between the Yoga 720 15 and the UX550

Seem to recall you have had both this year. Before you under-volted what was each like in terms of noise volume and pitch when gaming? Also, was there any irritating coil whine?

Thanks heaps.

7. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I can't hear coil whine, but I'm not someone who has ever noticed it either. The noise levels are not much different.

Redteam and hmscott like this.
  8. link626

link626 Asus GL502VM, Lenovo Y580, Asus K53TA

Reputations:
    notebookcheck new review of the 1050ti model shows severe throttling under heavy load.
    cpu dips down to 1500mhz, way below the non-turbo factory speed.

that's bad.

This is not just bad for games, it's even worse for video encoding, when you use nvidia cuda.
    In Premiere Pro, both the cpu and gpu are running full load, and when cpu dips down to 1500mhz, your encoding will take a lot more time to finish.

9. makko

makko Newbie

Reputations:
    Are anyone else's fans extremely noisy under heavy load? I have the UX550VE with 1050ti.

10. Jordan11223

Jordan11223 Newbie

Reputations:
    How do you know that the laptop doesn't support the charging via thunderbolt? Because I haven't found anything about on the internet...
    For example with a 100W tb adapter, is it sure that it wouldn't work? only 20W the difference...
    I am just asking.... It would be great