Asus ZenBook Pro UX501 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by andex, Mar 14, 2015.

1. rmazur12

rmazur12 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys. Does anyone suggest the UX501 for AutoCAD, photo editing (I have an external monitor), MATLAB, Mathematica, and other engineering applications? In other words, does this laptop have a strong enough CPU and GPU for some basic 2D cad and programming and computations in MATLAB for an engineering student? Thanks

2. ilikealuminum

ilikealuminum Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    A part of the bitterness comes from just our high expectations let down. This was on paper going to be an amazing product but the issues with the 4K screen in the US really let people down.

And of course, we're going to compare this to other laptops. We want to judge the quality relative to its competition, so other machines will come up.

Omega Chrysler, andex and improwise like this.
  3. lolcakesmcgee

lolcakesmcgee Newbie

Reputations:
    Ok, it's fine if you post what's wrong with it, but for those who have been following the thread, it's been pages and pages of only talk on how people don't want to buy it anymore because of the screen. People know there is a problem. I think it'd be more productive if people discussed any fixes, factual information and potential solutions. If you make the decision not to buy it, you don't NEED to advertise that here right?

You also ignored my second point. A replacement screen would cost around $100 all up. It's hard for a company to sell the perfect laptop because everyone has different expectations. They have many other factors to count in when selling the laptop. I am disappointed too. But I still think it's a better machine than 95% of the market. The main issue here is the 4k, spoiling an otherwise very reasonable setup. So lets do something about it!

4. ilikealuminum

ilikealuminum Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes! Enthusiastically. You're looking at a really high-performance processor, a really fast (possibly the fastest) SSD, and a mid-high tier gaming GPU. Definitely more than enough for those applications.

5. AM Radio

AM Radio Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    for me, it's not even about high expectations. it's about ASUS actually being able to meet their own stated capabilities/spec-sheet in terms of the UX501's sRGB and colour accuracy.

i would think that pretty much everyone interested in this notebook WANTED to really like it.

but the issue is not consumer expectations. when ASUS claims the UX501 has certain qualities or capabilities -- and proceeds to market this device based on said qualities and capabilities -- it shouldn't fall on the consumer to pay extra to make up for the manufacturer's defects, inadequacies, or inability to deliver.

imagine Toyota advertising a car as a 6-cylinder performance powerhouse, able to do 0-60 in 3.5 seconds; but then actually putting a car on market that is 4-cylinder with acceleration that is three times slower than claimed. yeah, you COULD replace the engine, maybe put in a custom turbo and a bunch of after-market mods in the hopes of making the car better -- and thereby voiding your warranty, btw -- but it would be better if Toyoto actually delivered on their claims.

in Canada the UX501 costs between $2200 CAD and $2500 CAD + taxes. at that price, i'm not saying UX501 should have The Best Display In the History of Displays, but it should definitely have a proper display that meets ASUS's claimed specifications.

andex and improwise like this.
  6. WololDude

WololDude Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I tried some matlab on the nx500 (pretty much the same performance) and it executed without any issues. I also did some programming on the ux501 using VMware (linux) which worked nicely, the fans didnt even increase in sound level (if they did I couldnt hear the difference).

I havent replaced any laptop screens before but I assume that if the FHD panel has the same connector and runs on the same voltage as the sharp 4k display it shouldnt matter. Replacing a 4k touch display with a normal FHD panel can be problematic since they have diffrent connectors (Im pretty sure they do).

If you do replace the panel it would be nice if you post a guide/how-to here, I like everything about the ux501 except for the screen and switching the panels would definitely be an option if I can do it safely without affecting the warranty.

7. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes, I find this "it's great if you just replace certain parts" argument kind of strange. As pointed out here, it is mostly Asus that has advertised certain aspects of the UX501 that just isn't true. If the UX501 had been as good as advertised, it would have been really good, but unfortunately, it isn't. At least not the one I have, and based on other comments here and elsewhere, I'm not alone.

8. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Won't go into too much details as this is the UX501 owners thread. In short, the MSI GS70 feels like the premium big brother of the UX501 (as it is a 17") where keyboard, build quality, speakers etc. are what I expected the UX501 to be but wasn't. Screen is a bit hard to compare as the GS70 has a 17" FHD TN panel but compared to the screen on my UX501 I would choose the one on the GS70 any day. My UX501 screen is very bad though, not sure how representative it is for all UX501s, besides the mustard yellow problem. I should probably point out as well that I am not to happy about the cooling on the GS70 in "idle mode", as MSI for som unknown reason decided to enforce a 3000 rpm minimum on the GS70, so it jumps back and forth between 0 rmp and 3000 rpm.

(Further discussion of the GS70 should probably be more appropriate in another thread than this one)

9. yson11

yson11 Newbie

Reputations:
    Sorry if someone has asked this already, but I don't have time to sift through 30 pages of messages.

DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHERE I CAN FIND THIS MODEL WITH THE FOLLOWING SPECS?? (Taken from the ASUS website... http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ZenBook_Pro_UX501/specifications/)

I am looking for the model with the following options...
    - i7-4720HQ processor
    - 16GB RAM
    - IPS UHD (4K res) touchscreen display
    - NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 960M**with 4GB GDDR5 VRAM**
    - PCIe x4 M.2 SSD (512GB)
    - Intel Dual Band AC-7260 network card
    - 6cell 96Whr battery

Please advise on where in the world I can find this model. Thank you in advance! I already know from an ASUS rep in the US that America will not be distributing any models with the 4GB graphics card...so I need to know what country I can get it. PLEASE HELP!

10. rmazur12

rmazur12 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @ilikealuminum, thanks for your response. This laptop sounds like it will meet all of my needs.

@WololDude, thanks for your response. From your experience with the nx500, I feel confident that the ux501 will perform all of the tasks that I require. Thanks.