Asus ZenBook Pro UX501 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by andex, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Taker04

Taker04 Newbie

Reputations:

Thanks for the reply, for scientist questions i will try it myself and go back here to tell the results. I think is possible, just have to mod the JW heatsink to VW M/B. But, however i'll buy the original VW Chassis to turn the JW model in a real VW, i prefer the VW because of the NVMe support and Thunderbolt 3 and the VW model don't use PWM to control the display.

2. Feregorn

Feregorn Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    My buyer journey back then was the reverse in fact. I bought first the UX501VW model but couldn't bear the coil whining noise, so I returned it and chose the previous UX501JW gen. Considering it is still going strong and has never given me any problems I think I made the right choice for me.

Good luck in your endeavour! Let us know how it went!

3. Calgor

Calgor Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Long time user of UX501VW now, it is a great laptop, but I noticed that the BIOS Menu option to load the EFI shell from the filesystem no longer works, and in fact the file shellx64.efi did not exist (anymore?) in the EFI partition. Not sure how it got deleted maybe a windows update a couple of years ago.

I downloaded an open source UEFI shell replacement (tianocore) and copied it to the base directory of the EFI partition, but this only works when secure boot is disabled. In Secure Boot mode (selected yes in BIOS) it says secure boot violation or similar when selecting to load the EFI shell from filesystem. So it seems this open source UEFI shell is not signed properly for secure boot.

Does anyone still have the UEFI shell working in Secure Boot mode? (In fact did it always work in this mode?) And if so could you please provide me with the shellx64.efi file from the base of the EFI partition? Would this also work on my machine? I cannot seem to see where this file is in the windows installation media (may not exist, and may have been supplied by Asus of which there is no installation CD).

The EFI shell can be useful when e.g. dumping/updating the BIOS.