Asus ZenBook Pro UX501 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by andex, Mar 14, 2015.

1. muntos

muntos Newbie

Reputations:
    Not quite, I've read the FAQ before, I know how it should work, the thing is that...is doesn't work, doesn't do what it says it would do

hmscott likes this.
  2. muntos

muntos Newbie

Reputations:
    One more thing I noticed with my laptop and reading all the 200 pages, regarding the 4K display. Mine has the Sharp IGZO (LQ156D1JX02) display, didn't seen anybody else saying this..thought would be useful if somebody thinking buying one and fears about the display...

3. kord2003

kord2003 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm trying to install Windows Precision Drivers on my ASUS Zenbook UX501VW using this guide:

Here are some reddit threads:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/...e_precision_touchpad_on_hp_spectre_x360_2017/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/7cpf8k/get_rid_of_the_terrible_asus_smart_gesture_and/

Unfortunately, this guide doesn't work for my device.
    I tried installing Precision Drivers from Lenovo website, I tried Elan drivers v16.11.3.2 from softpedia, I tried v16.21.13.3 and v16.21.17.3 from microsoft website, but nothing works.

By the way, my touchpad is described as "ASUS Touchpad" in device manager.
    The only sign that it's Elan driver is hardware installation path:
    HID\ELAN1000&COL01\5&16D04072&0&0000

Also, there are some mentions of Elan in hardware IDs section:
    HID\VEN_ELAN&DEV_1000&Col01
    HID\ELAN1000&Col01
    HID\*ELAN1000&Col01
    HID\VID_04F3&UP:0001_U:0002
    HID_DEVICE_SYSTEM_MOUSE
    HID_DEVICE_UP:0001_U:0002
    HID_DEVICE

I'm trying to install Precision Drivers as described in thisguide. "ASUS Touchpad" becomes "ELAN Input Device For WDF" with yellow triangle and it doesn't work after restart.

Error message is:
    This device cannot start. (Code 10)
    Insufficient system resources exist to complete the API.

Can anyone help me with this issue?

I really want to have Precision Drivers on my laptop because I'm fed up with ****ty Asus Smart Gesture!

4. farsang

farsang Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Guys need help. My Ux501(the FHD version) is stuck in the aptio utility. There is nothing under the boot options. I've had this problem a couple times before too(i used to run a bootable windows usb, enter the installation and then just restart which seemed to fix it) but this time it's just not working.
    Any solution?

5. HenryGel

HenryGel Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Guys,

I have a really frustrating problem with my Asus. Opening Task Manager causes it to slow to a crawl and sometimes the only way to recover is to power it off.

Everything is up-to-date and I have re-installed the OS 3 times to get it working.

I have tried DISM and SFC commands with no joy.

Has anyone else experienced this?

thanks,
    Henry

6. kord2003

Reputations:
    Here is an easy way to improve performance of GTX 960M.
    1. Change thermal paste, stock one is awful.
    2. There are big gaps between blowers and copper radiators, which leads to huge air leaks and low cooling performance.
    I fixed that with plastic card and duct tape. I attached two pieces of plastic above and below of blower, redirecting air straight to copper radiator.
    Now my GTX 960M never drops below 1050Mhz. This is HUGE!

7. khanis12

khanis12 Notebook Geek

Reputations:

Wow. This sounds Big. Could you pls show us your mod in pics?

8. kord2003

Reputations:
    I'm sorry, but I was too lazy to make photos when I was doing this experiment.
    Please take a look at this photo:
    [​IMG]
    It's UX501JW, but thermals are exactly the same.
    See this big gap between left blower and radiator? It's causing huge leaks, and we need to close this gap somehow if we want 100% of air to hit the radiator.
    I glued 2 pieces of plastic to blowers using duct tape, kinda extending top and bottom blower's surface so it covers radiators like a tunnel. In order to do so, you need to remove heatsink and blowers.
    Did you get the idea?
    There are still small leaks because it's not 100% airtight.
    Next time I will probably try some kind of sealant glue, but for now it's fine.

khanis12 likes this.
  9. khanis12

khanis12 Notebook Geek

Reputations:

Yeah now I get it. I often change my thermal paste so I have to open my device up. I always wondered why there was a gap between these two. Good job!

10. dazzyd

dazzyd Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    hi guys, been out of the loop on this forum for a while. managed to hook up a screen to the hdmi out of this lappy but find it laggy some times. any fixes on this.?