Asus ZenBook Pro UX501 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by andex, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Feregorn

Feregorn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I can't see the picture in tapatalk

Sent from my N5206 using Tapatalk

2. marlospain

marlospain Newbie

Reputations:
    Does anyone else have massive battery wear? I have the G501VW with a 60Whr battery and it's worn 23.4% to 45964 mWh. You can download BatteryBar to check. I've seen other forum posts specifically about ASUS laptop batteries wearing badly. My 4 year old Acer Aspire V3-771G has only worn 9%.

3. muntos

muntos Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everybody, kinda late to the party, I've bought a SH UX501VW (4K, 16GB RAM, Non Touch, 96Wh battery and a 256GB SSD Sandisk drive) and thinking to upgrade the SSD with a Samsung 960 EVO NVMe SSD but even after reading almost all 200 pages I'm not sure if my model supports NVMe drives ?

4. marlospain

marlospain Newbie

Reputations:
    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?83477-G501JW-NVMe-M-2-SSD-Support/page2
    Someone here says that you can install NVMe drivers on and it'll work fine. BTW, could you download BatteryBar to check your battery wear? I plan on getting a 96Whr battery as an upgrade for my G501.

EDIT: The post I read was probably misinformed since they said they fixed it that way on their desktop. Anyways, this ROG thread has a solution that probably works. It involves this BIOS modding guide which should work since I think the hardware on the boards is the same, ASUS just disables NVMe on laptops that come with SATA drives.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  5. muntos

muntos Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks, I will read there to see if I can find something useful.
    Battery wear on mine is 16.3%

6. marlospain

marlospain Newbie

Reputations:
    That's surprising, I think ASUS may have low-quality batteries. I've read other reports on fast battery wear for other ASUS laptops as well. Other laptops I've seen don't have such drastic battery wear.

7. muntos

muntos Newbie

Reputations:
    Btw, in this review it says:
    The move from a PCIe x4 controller on the original UX501JW to the growing NVMe controller on the UX501VW has increased read and write speeds across the board. NVMe SSDs are still uncommon on multimedia notebooks and are mostly found on high-end gaming machines including the MSI GT72S, ROG G752, and some Aorus notebooks. Thus, our Asus easily outclasses many of its competitors in raw transfer rates.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-ZenBook-Pro-UX501VW-Notebook-Review.158762.0.html

hmscott likes this.
  8. muntos

muntos Newbie

Reputations:
    Does anyone managed to successfully run the "Asus Battery Health Charging" utility ? Fist, after the install I was unable to change any setting in the app, then after reading somewhere how to modify a Win Registry I was able to change the values and choose "Maximum Livespan Mode" but doesn't seems to do anything...

hmscott likes this.
  9. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    This FAQ might help:

FAQ - ASUS Battery Health Charging - Introduction
    Last Update : 2017/09/20 19:05
    https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1032726/

10. Omega Chrysler

Omega Chrysler Newbie

Reputations:
    yes. i already tried that with no success.