Asus ZenBook Pro UX501 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by andex, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Skogholm

Skogholm Newbie

Reputations:
    Here is a link to a video of me trying to show how it looks. Not the best video but sitll.

2. link626

link626 Asus GL502VM, Lenovo Y580, Asus K53TA

Reputations:
    ok yeah, that's too much. Looks like the center bulges out more than normal.

I don't remember my g501vw having that much play in the lid.

hmscott likes this.
  3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Excellent, exactly the angle to see it fully. It's a big movement, but I have seen it before on other laptops.

IDK if that's standard or greater than what others see with their unit, but it's not catastrophic, IMHO... a little / lot annoying perhaps, but livable.

If Asus braced it internally with a rigid bar it would add weight, and a pressure point that a large force could crack whatever it's braced against - probably the back of the display. A heavy metal back to brace against would add weight, and Asus finessed the form of the thin lid instead.

That lid is a large area to have a fully unbraced expanse of thin metal, so it's bound to have flexure given Asus couldn't let it be flat and push into the display.

Asus probably curved it out so pressing in didn't make contact with the display, or anything fragile.

IDK, what could be used instead, as any edge to edge honeycomb brace without contact to the back of the display would also flex along with the metal expanse.

IDK what it looks like between the metal and the back of the display, perhaps there was something that required that bulge for clearance as well.

Like I said before with those thin laptops you need a rigid case / sleeve to take the pressure off the laptop and protect it from things stuffed into the backpack / carry case.

Anyone else have similar lid back flexure with their unit?

That lid back might be out of spec and replacement might fix it. I'd open a ticket with Asus with a link to that video, and ask Asus if that amount of flex is normal.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  4. Danifast

Danifast Newbie

Reputations:
    Does anybody knows if it's correct
    (air coming out only from the right side) ??

Someone on YouTube says that the left fan on the gpu, only aspirates air, others says that maybe lthe left one work only if the gpu is stressed.

What do you think about?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  5. RedRecividist

RedRecividist Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anyone else running the new BIOS 305? I haven't noticed any significant changes but I can't resist a new BIOS! I think it is mainly new Thunderbolt stuff to support the XG Station 2...

Actually I have noticed one interesting change. I have secure boot turned off as I run Linux, and I no longer get the unsigned boot warning. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing, really.

6. gravityman

gravityman Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a UX501, the first version with the 4k touch screen. Anyways, as I was cleaning the screen, I noticed there were some specs of dirt/dust/lint that were not coming off. I then discovered that they see, to be in between the layers of the screen, possibly the Touch Panel and the LCD. What should I do? I am from the philippines, and I purchased the laptop on Amazon (US) and had it brought over last 2015. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with this and also with regards warranty because I think this should be deemed as a defect? There's a service center locally, but they're really slow. As in, they take a few weeks to a month just to diagnose the problem. If this is something that they may not fix, or replace in due time, perhaps I can just live with it and wait till my next upgrade. They aren't too visible during use, just a tad bit annoying to see when the screen is off.

hmscott likes this.
  7. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Does the local Asus support center have a walk-in area to show them the problem? If it's something you can show them quickly they can explore what it takes to replace it and pre-order the screen ahead of you leaving the laptop there for repair.

If they don't have a walk-in, do it by email and attach clear photo's, magnified?, to show the problem, hopefully with the same result - pre-ordering replacement screen.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  8. Clockdrop

Clockdrop Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey there, yesterday I just went into a laptop repair store and successfully clean the internals and replace the thermal paste. The temperature on the CPU is finally doing ok, 35-40°+ Idle, 45-50°+. I'm so glad it did work well... except, my GPU seems not be doing fine though
    I tried playing games such as Shadow of Mordor as well as The Witcher 3.
    While doing so, I noticed that the GPU temps are raising very quickly but my laptop itself isn't warming like that. Also I noticed that my performance drastically lowered.
    Now I'm starting to worry that the person who do the repasting on both the CPU and GPU on my laptop looks like messed up while
    repasting the GPU :(
    Please tell me my GPU isn't dead yet or not working properly.

upload_2017-9-15_19-59-43.png

This is my GPU's temperature while doing only browsing tasks... which is not looking good. But like I've said, my laptop isn't going that warm.

upload_2017-9-15_20-0-54.png

Maybe I should be uninstalling the current driver version and install a new one(385.41)?
    I need help on this. :(
    Hope you guys reply ASAP

EDIT:
    After installing the 385.41, nothing has change :(
    My GPU temps still raises to 100° and my CPU doesn't seem to be heating up for the game.
    Guys tell what just happened after the cleaning and repaste?
    Is there actually a risk of doing it? How could it happen this to my laptop?
    Please I really need help, I can't let my laptop end like this :(

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017 at 10:35 AM
  9. khanis12

khanis12 Notebook Geek

Reputations:

It seems he forgot to add thermal paste to the GPU. The laptop needs to be opened up again to make sure gpu has been pasted properly. such jumps in temp (100 c) are not normal and only indicate a problem with the thermal solution. pls make sure both fans in the laptop are working properly. try taking it to a different guy this time.