Asus ZenBook Pro UX501 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by andex, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Rondel

Rondel Newbie

Reputations:
    Are you certain? The Asus tech claimed it to be sRGB. Thanks in advance.

2. Samkit Palecha

Samkit Palecha Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Zenbook Pro Users,
    I bought this laptop an year back, but its motherboard was recently damaged and I had to get it replaced. It was done under warranty, but since I've got it back, I've been having constant fps drops in gaming. I've tried almost everything. I saw some people having the same issues after they got their motherboard replaced but not on the same laptop, they had issues with new motherboard only supporting up to 90W instead of 124W. I would like to ask any profession out there if they could have replaced my motherboard with the one with lower specs? It was official service center and they told me that my Laptop was international, so had to order the motherboard from Japan. Please reply so that I can go back to the service center and ask them for a replacement again. Also, The Windows won't activate even after pressing the "I've recently changed harware on this device".

3. link626

link626 Asus GL502VM, Lenovo Y580, Asus K53TA

Reputations:
    keep hwinfo64 open and see if overheating is responsible for fps drops.

When you get a new mobo, they have to repaste the heatsink, and if done improperly, could cause throttling in either gpu or cpu.

I got my g501 mobo replaced once because the thunderbolt and hdmi port could not do dual display, and the new board cpu hit max temps quickly and throttled big time.
    Either the paste job sucked, or paste didn't have time to cure.

4. Lotram

Lotram Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

I have a UX501VW, and I saw that you could upgrade your RAM to 24GB (for example on that topic, page 139-141), so I bought this one : http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/zenbook-ux510uw/CT9246398 , but after installing it, the screen stays black when I turn it of, and it turns on immediately when I turn it off. I tried to update the BIOS, but it did'nt change anything. Did I screw up with this specific RAM?
    Thanks

UPDATE : I tried inserting the old RAM, and I have the same problem, so problem is coming from my laptop right ? It is still working without any RAM except the one onboard.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    hmscott likes this.
  5. Skogholm

Skogholm Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi

Is there supposed to be a bit of flex in the aluminum body on the lid? Its like a bubble that ju can press down in the middle where the asus logo is.

hmscott likes this.
  6. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Stop doing that :D

7. Skogholm

Skogholm Newbie

Reputations:
    So there is supposed to be a little flex in it?

hmscott likes this.
  8. hmscott

Reputations:
    It's one of those self-answered questions, don't you think? It has flex, so it's supposed to have flex, if you get the drift?

Display lids are always fragile, you don't want to be applying pressure to it "to test how flexible" it is.

Light thin laptops are fragile, not ingots of iron that are impervious to damage :)

If you don't like it don't keep it, but don't stress test it or you might find it's limits... and that kind of damage is likely not covered by warranty... user induced damage.

You need to be very careful when carrying these thin laptops in backpacks / satchels, make sure it doesn't get stuffed into a bag with books on top of it. That's why there is usually a separate compartment for laptops with some kind of protection between compartments.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  9. Skogholm

Skogholm Newbie

Reputations:
    Its not like i apply a great deal of pressure to it =). Just a gentle touch with a finger until the aluminum hits the back of the screen and i dont do it regularly I just tested once or twice.
    Thnx for the reply.

hmscott likes this.
  10. hmscott

Reputations:
    As my mom used to say to me when I did that, "Stop doing that! If you keep doing it it might stay that way, you'll break it!, then you'll be sorry!"

Good 'ole Mom; good thing I stopped doing that. ;)

Sounds more fragile than normal, maybe get a nice thick sleeve with hard rigid surfaces to protect it in your case / backpack.