Asus ZenBook Pro UX501 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by andex, Mar 14, 2015.

1. don_svetlio

don_svetlio Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It has HDMI 1.4 AFAIK hence why you can only set your screen to 60Hz.

2. link626

link626 Asus GL502VM, Lenovo Y580, Asus K53TA

Reputations:

That thunderbolt port has displayport built-in. You can get a usb-c displayport passive adapter for 120+hz or 4k, They usually call it "alt-mode".
    however sometimes these adapters aren't compatible, so you may have to buy a few before you find one that works.

3. lightningrodbob

lightningrodbob Notebook Geek

Reputations:

I bought it with a debit card.

The shop I took it to is the best in Boise, and the guy who does the soldering has been doing it professionally for a long time for multiple local tech companies (Micron and HP IIRC). I decided to just take his word for it. I mean he could have just done the work and still gotten paid even if he messed up my laptop, but he decided to warn me of the risks and give me the chance to back out. The shop I took it to has an excellent reputation.

If this job is supposedly easy for any experienced solderer, do you think I'd be able to recoup a chunk of my money by selling the laptop as-is on e-bay or something? I just don't want to sink hundreds into repairs and then still have to end up replacing the laptop anyways if I have no guarantee of success. I think I'd rather take that repair money and just put it towards the next laptop.

4. link626

Reputations:
    if you used a visa or mastercard or major name debit card, it should still have extended warranty coverage.

Call the support number and confirm.

You might not have to pay a cent out of pocket to fix this

5. ruben56

ruben56 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello.
    I bought this laptop two months ago, the FJ006T more accurately. Unfortunately, it doesn't want to run smoothly on 4K@60FPS. The scrolling in browser is horrible on windows. Animations when I enter Start, the same. However, on Ubuntu the things are better but the lag is still present. What could I do? Did anyone solve the problem? I'm strugelling day by day to find a fix but all I do doesn't seem to help. On 1080P or 2K it works flawless.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017 at 8:08 AM
  6. link626

Reputations:
    Try putting it in high performance mode, running off the nvidia gpu.

The crap performance is probably due to the Intel gpu.

4k 60fps video? Find a video player with hardware playback. VLC player sucks.

7. ruben56

ruben56 Newbie

Reputations:
    It is set on High Performance. The performance doesn't vary if the gtx is on or off.
    Also, it runs 4K 60FPS smoothly in windows movie app. The same in browser with 1 Gbps connection, no problem, but the processor goes in 90%+ because of the vp9 decoding. But still no problem in running 4K@60FPS.
    Then why a few animations and the scrolling in browser are so bad? I tried all versions of HD Graphics. Now I'm running 21.20.16.4678.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017 at 5:16 AM
  8. khanis12

khanis12 Notebook Geek

Reputations:

Try to use Media Player Classic

9. ruben56

ruben56 Newbie

Reputations:
    I don't have problems in decoding 4K at 60FPS. The Windows 10 UI lags (entering start lags, maximizing windows, etc), scrolling in browser lags... these are my problems.

10. VictorAres

VictorAres Newbie

Reputations:
    Go in to your NVIDIA control panel, go to the "program settings" tab under "Manage 3D settings", look for your browser under the programs list and select "High-performance NVIDIA browser" as the preferred graphics browser. Restart your browser and/or PC and the lag should hopefully stop. This worked for me. To make sure right click your browser icon and under "Run with graphics browser" make sure the non integrated graphics option is set as default.