Asus ZenBook Pro UX501 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by andex, Mar 14, 2015.

1. QuGhZx

QuGhZx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @Asmodeus812 you can always find it on the internet.
    @Biao So your UX501VW has a B & M key M.2 slot?! o_O

2. Asmodeus812

Asmodeus812 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yea , i can but there are some difficulties buying from foreign country, anyway , did they stopped mass production of UX501VW ?! :( or is that lack temporary

3. Biao

Biao Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It came with M.2 slot. 950 Pro can plug it in the slot, but BIOS doesn't recognise it.

4. QuGhZx

QuGhZx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Have you updated your BIOS or contacted ASUS support?

5. Biao

Biao Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I did but no luck.

6. JohnnyEM

JohnnyEM Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes. I had the problem too of the Asus ZenBook UX501VW bios not recognizing the Samsung 950 Pro.

But I decided to proceed anyway with Windows 10 installation by booting into the Windows 10 USB installer in UEFI mode. To my surprise, Windows 10 setup sees the 950 Pro just fine.

I was able to install Windows 10 on it. Windows 10 setup created a UEFI Windows Boot Manager entry. The bios can see that UEFI entry and that's enough to boot windows 10 just fine.

I can confirm that the 950 Pro works even if the UX501VW bios never sees it.

7. SDeP58

SDeP58 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi Everyone,

I honestly did not read the entire 150 page thread yet I greatly appreciate everyone that comes to this NBR Great Forum and offers up their precious time, personal experience and especially gracious opinion and I have always been so graciously & gratefully helped every single time I needed it and I will always be so grateful for it.

I now reached the point & time to move on from my present desktop computer/laptop which is a DELL XPS 15 (9530) with the QHD+ display and it is only my opinion yet I just cannot take the STINKING dust & smudge drawing & catching magnet in this carbon fiber JUNK & GARBAGE any longer. :eek:

I'm now wanting and looking to replace it yet every single time I think I found the unit to buy the majority of people just tear it apart and then unbelievably rant & rave about the DELL XPS 15's either older & new 4K one being the best PC laptop anyone can buy for photography and color accurate viewing and work and this to me is just very disheartening, as I much prefer the smooth classy looking palm rest such as the Asus ZenBook Pro UX501VW over the carbon fiber GARBAGE any day or night.

Now I go and research this Beautiful looking Asus only to sadly learn that it is very color inaccurate with a horrendous mustard color for yellows and it has a lousy super glossy display with a terrible brightness as well and this my friends is just truly very discouraging & disheartening to learn. :(

So I guess it's back to the proverbial drawing board for me. :confused:

1. I do not game at all.
    2. I prefer to stay with PC.
    3. It's strictly a desktop replacement.
    4. I don't do video work and I view a lot of photos daily and I want the BEST possible experience, clarity, accuracy & detail that I can get when zooming in on them that I can hopefully get.

Any gracious suggestions, opinions or etc. will definitely be very much appreciated.

Kind Regards,
    SD

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
    khanis12 likes this.
  8. link626

link626 Asus GL502VM, Lenovo Y580, Asus K53TA

Reputations:
    it's true. I just bought a ux501vw to test out, assembled in may 2016. and it still has the samsung 4k display with the yellowy whites. and I notice the PWM flickering more.
    looks terrible compared to my samsung 1080p in my g501vw.

anyway, the UX is going back, thanks to awesome return policies.

SDeP58 likes this.
  9. SDeP58

SDeP58 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks link 626,

What a real downer yet thank you so much for taking the time to graciously respond and let me know this and especially confirm what I learned as it is greatly appreciated.

What do you think you will go for now and knowing what I strictly use my computer for what would you kindly and graciously suggest for me?

I honestly do not know how these so-called BIG computer manufacturers can get away with doing this to hard working consumer and still manage to stay in business as well. :confused:

Regards,
    SD

10. Rickscar

Rickscar Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi there,

I've been reading the comments and found that the specs of ur laptop are the same as the one available in my country (Peru)

I was wondering if I should buy it or not because of the 1TB HDD. so I have some questions I'll be thankful if u answer them.

Did you solve the problems you had with windows10 or you just leave it on 8.1?

Have you installed the m2 pcie ssd already? If so, did u have any trouble?

Is the HDD (5400rpm) really slow?

I am not sure if that model has the 45Wh battery or the 60Wh one, how many hours does it last doing some light work like web browsing or using Word/Excel?

Thanks for your time.

Ps: sorry about my english