Asus ZenBook Pro UX501 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by andex, Mar 14, 2015.

1. EduardoDaVinci

EduardoDaVinci Guest

Reputations:
    Looks perfectly fine to me, with updated drivers etc. If I were in your situation, I would:

1. Download Windows 10 onto a USB stick.
    2. Format and delete every partition, leaving you left with only one unallocated space partition.
    3. After clean installing Windows 10, try to reboot the computer and confirm that it takes less time than before.
    4. Install latest drivers, only the ones you need. See my post on the very top of the 145th page in this thread.
    5. Reboot once more, see if the time is good.
    6. Take notes of what software you install is slowing down your computer.

Hope this helps.

2. Biao

Biao Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Your Disk I/O is 100% usage, I think that is the main reason why your laptop stuck. Have you tried removing the Bitdefender from your laptop?

3. QuGhZx

QuGhZx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @EduardoDaVinci I have done what you said and it boots faster now and performance improved slightly, however, the UI lag problem is still present with the latest drivers from both Nvidia and Intel, I will post about it on Intel forums, I went to BIOS>Advance> DVMT Pre-Allocated Memory, the default was 64MB, I first increased to a maximum of 512MB the UI was still laggy, I went back and decreased it the minimum of 32MB rebooted and noticed good improvement (MPC-HC used to lag severely playing 4K videos, now it doesn't).

@Biao, IK Antivirus software can be demanding sometimes but it was as slow even before I installed BitDefender.

hmscott likes this.
  4. Feregorn

Feregorn Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The issue with 4k and demanding video codes for that matter is whether it supports hardware acceleration. I faced a similar problem withwhen using MP-HC to watch a 4k video because apparently it was only using software decoding, but when I switched to the default windows 10 player it was as smooth as butter. And I have the highest UX501JW version with the 512ssd.

Sent from my N5206 using Tapatalk

5. Snowpirate

Snowpirate Newbie

Reputations:
    Anyone having Problem with low sound volume here is the solution that worked for me:
    Download the ICEsound driver from asus site http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/ASUS-ZenBook-Pro-UX501JW/HelpDesk_Download/ mine is the JW version
    Once you installed the ICEsound driver open it and select the Gaming Mode ,Volume will be increased noticeably
    If you cant find the program after install search AudioWizard

6. solitaire01

solitaire01 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey all - has anyone discovered a tiny microsd reader that will sit flush inside the SD slot? I'd like to expand the storage but don't want anything protruding. Do the aluminum ones made for Macbooks work?

7. Snowpirate

Snowpirate Newbie

Reputations:
    HI everyone i got a little query
    I have UX501JW FHD 1TB version i bought this laptop from the Middle East ( jarir Bookstore)six months ago
    I want to upgrade my storage can someone tell me if it has a m.2 ssd slot?
    If yes does it support sata III or PCIe?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  8. veshe

veshe Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I'm about to do a clean install on my UX501VW-FI099T, but where can I find my windows key?

9. veshe

veshe Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    After some googling I found out that Windows should activate automatically based on what hardware the machine had during the first activation.

That didn't work, getting the error message 0xc004f014.

10. DEFIANTLY

DEFIANTLY Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sadly, after owning this laptop since January 2016, I've moved on. The laptop itself is really REALLY impressive, but the screen is awful. 4K is either ahead of its time or bound to die the same death as 3D PC screens. Nearly everything I wanted to do was an issue. Remoting into work was a scaled mess. The older games I wanted to play were nearly impossible to get running correctly and all but the most recent applications had scaling issues. Even Logitech's own "Gaming Software" that configures it's gaming mice isn't updated for high DPI displays. I just had to move on.
    So, I'm back to Lenovo. ...which kinda concerns me after all of the privacy issues they had recently with certain laptops. I bought the brand new Yoga 710 in 15". It isn't as fast as this ASUS, but the screen is in 1080p, has a near-edgeless display and ALL of the scaling issues are gone.

I honestly can't see how anyone who works and plays on a 4K display isn't screaming in distress.
    (sorry for the rant)

hmscott likes this.