Asus ZenBook Pro UX501 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by andex, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Kokonos

Kokonos Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    No worries, I live in sweden so unfortunately I don't know. FI020T is the model

2. kpopsaranghaex3

kpopsaranghaex3 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I just don't want to invest $1500 into a laptop, only to have hinge problems with it in a year... That's unacceptable for a laptop this expensive...

Is this the start of a hinge issue? I've heard about really nasty hinge problems in the Zenbook series.

UX303 Hinge
    [​IMG]

UX501JW-DS71T Hinge
    [​IMG]

Based on the parts from laptopinventory, the UX303 and the UX501 use the same hinge and that scares the living hell out of me...

[​IMG]

But then the teardown from this notebookcheck review has a completely different looking hinge. Can someone take a picture of how their hinge looks on the ux501vw?

Last edited: May 7, 2016
  3. Kokonos

Reputations:
    If this is what you're referring to at 2:24

Not necessarily, however if the quality is poor then it's just a matter of time for it to become so loose that it can no longer support itself(have seen a DIY fix on another zenbook for this)

I could barely sleep after making my order, I mean there's so much that could go wrong.. I had already read about the hinge problem on other Asus laptops, didn't help in calming me down.

Did a quick google and things like this really scares me:
    "One thing I'll say is that I have the original model of the Asus UX501 released around 2 years ago and the build quality did NOT hold up whatsoever past a year. The plastic covering the hinge broke off by itself about 6 months in, leaving the hinge ugly, exposed, and vulnerable. Asus support told me It would cost me over 300 dollars to fix the hing because they refused to simply send me a replacement part. They said I had to ship it to them, have them wipe the computer, then fix it, then send it back to me. I'm currently waiting on my XPS 15 to ship next week. Good riddance to Asus build quality."

I mean that's not the actual hinge that broke but still. Asus told me the same thing that if I wanted to fix my "double clicking" trackpad and some other things, I'd have to send it in for "service", that problem appeared after an hour or so of use. Who knows when I would of gotten it back, probably scratched. Sorry, I've had a few bad experiences in the past sending stuff back for "repair"...

Ironic thing is that I was looking at the XPS 15 too and while there's a lot of information about it there's also an amazing amount of trouble people are having. For example the 4K screen that would die within a month and I thought that would probably be pretty rare. Then later I found one "used"(completely new) that I was thinking of buying.
    The seller sent me this.[​IMG]

4. kpopsaranghaex3

Reputations:
    What would be a good alternative to the UX501VW then? :/ I wanted something relatively light, but still powerful and I feel there aren't that many that fit the bill....

5. Percy Proxy

Percy Proxy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @kpopsaranghaex3 May I say something? I am still not sure if one should avoid the UX501VW. For one, it certainly looks like the two hinges pictured in post 1322 are one and the same (with identical shadows, positions and signs of usage). That alone does not prove any bad quality on the UX501VW. Then, the video posted by kokonos shows the hinges being a bit loose, but does this automatically mean they are going to break? I have had wobbly non-touch displays, too, and they were good for years. And finally, if the hinges "usually" (or very often) created problems like extensive swinging or even breaking, would we not see much more negative user reviews on any given site? I didn't find that many, did you?
    Now, any such case is one too much - but what i want to say is that, based on internet research only, it is hard to judge just how frequent these failures are.

6. link626

link626 Asus GL502VM, Lenovo Y580, Asus K53TA

Reputations:

That is not the same hinge in the VW, but it is no guarantee these plastic-epoxied-to-aluminum laptops won't fail on you.

Usually the hinges are perfectly fine. It's the dumb plastic they are mounted to that cracks because the plastic can't handle the torque of the hinges.

So either you lessen the tightness, reducing torque, and have you screen wobble like hell with every bump,
    or you tighten the hinge, increase torque, and have it break off the plastic.

Here's what the VW hinges should look like.
    I took mine apart. I'm more worried about the plastic mounting points glued to the aluminum lid shell. That's where it usually breaks

a3.JPG a4.JPG a6.JPG

7. Biao

Biao Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You are totally right. Before got my UX501vw, I was like XPS 15. But I'm a coder, I like deeper keytravel keyboard, matte screen and SSD + HD more. So I finally choose UX501vw. Very good post for buyers who hard to make a decision between UX501vw and XPS 15.

8. Kokonos

Reputations:
    That is true, I have my now very old HP Pavilion dv6500 laying around which I used extensively when it was new after which I gave it away to someone else so it has been used a lot. Now I got it back a year ago to do some experimenting on it. The hinges on this thing has always been wobbly(still very stiff and impossible to open with one hand) but it still works like new. Oh and this thing is.. I believe 9 years old now.

Appreciate the time and effort for taking those pictures, I'm assuming that is also a model shipped with 1x8GB of RAM, correct? Anyway, let's hope for the best.

Then my effort was worthwhile. I'm carrying around all this information I wish I knew prior to purchase, might as well share it, right?

I can add that even though the XPS 15 is smaller, as a non laptop user I don't find the UX501VW to be big or bulky, I wouldn't want anything bigger in my lap but I have no problem taking it from place to place.

Last edited: May 8, 2016
  9. kpopsaranghaex3

Reputations:
    Thanks for the pictures! I had a UX32VD for about a year and I didn't notice any hinge weakness, so I hope I do well in the hinge lottery this time as well. I think I'm going to take the plunge. If I want to avoid tax in California, what would be a good place for purchasing the UX501VW? My current choice is B&H Photo since they are based in NY and also they accept returns with no restocking fee as long as all items in the box are returned.

10. EduardoDaVinci

EduardoDaVinci Guest

Reputations:
    -

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2019