Asus ZenBook Pro UX501 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by andex, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Biao

Biao Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Nick work! I've same issue with my UX501vw, unfortunately I've returned the 950 Pro to the eBay seller now. I believe that this is a bug and Asus still can not figure it out!

2. thestrox

thestrox Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thinking about getting UX501VW over XPS15. I have some questions.
    -Do you guys think UX501VW will last for 4 years ?
    -Is it as buggy as the XPS 15?
    -Also, why should i get UX501VW over XPS15 (apart from money)?
    -And lastly do any of you use android studio ? If so, how long will the battery last when using it?/ Battery life on moderate use ?
    -Finally, how portable is it while carrying to different places ?

Thanks in advance.

3. Biao

Biao Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    - It depends
    - I've heard about some complains of XPS too
    - My UX501vw installed a matte display, as a coding machine, UX501vw is better
    - no idea :p
    - XPS 15 is more portable than UX501vw, but not bad at all :)

4. DEFIANTLY

DEFIANTLY Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    -- I do believe that the VW will last at least 4 years, but of course much of that depends on how you treat it. :)

-- I believe that the Skylake processors combined with the 4k screen covers many of the issues you read about. These issues aren't exclusive to the Asus or Dell machines. I also believe that a 4k screen is an absolute waste of resources and is a royal pain in the butt to deal with on a daily basis, unless you are heavily into picture/video editing.

-- I think the Asus is a better deal for what you get. However, it's definitely larger than the XPS. But personally, I just don't like Dell products.

-- I don't know what Anroid Studio is, sorry. However, the battery is good, usually lasting me 4-6 hours for regular office apps and surfing. Games or any app that switches to nVidia graphics and/or pings the CPU and I'm gettinf 2-4 hours.

-- Mine fits, albeit snuggly, in a 15" laptop bag. Watch for dimensions when picking a bag/case, as the Asus VW is usually on the maximum size limitations of the bags out there.

5. thefiverivers

thefiverivers Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    How's the keyboard? I've read some negative things in reviews about it in regards to flex, key travel and it being off centered bc of the num pad on right. Can I get some real world feedback? Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

6. DEFIANTLY

Reputations:
    No issues with keyboard flex,in my opinion. The fact that it's off center is also not an issue for me.
    There does, however, seem to be an issue with the spacebar. Maybe it's the way I type, but maybe 1 time out of 10, the space wont register for me. Also, while it's nice to have a numeric keypad, the keys on it are way to narrow. (regular keys are fine). Key travel is "okay" for a chicklet board and the back-lighting is useless unless you are in a pitch black room. They should have made black keys with a white font.

thefiverivers likes this.
  7. link626

link626 Asus GL502VM, Lenovo Y580, Asus K53TA

Reputations:

i know one bug at least.... it won't do triple display reliably

8. link626

link626 Asus GL502VM, Lenovo Y580, Asus K53TA

Reputations:
    it's funny, both the G501 and ux501 have useless keyboard. It's so hard to see the G501 keyboard's red letters, and it's so hard to see the ux501's white letters.

They should have swapped and given the ux501 the red letters instead, and the g501 the white letters.

9. EduardoDaVinci

EduardoDaVinci Guest

Reputations:
    -

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2019
  10. DEFIANTLY

Reputations:
    I can tell you that based on what I've read, the one MAJOR reason to get the VW over the JW are the vents they added to the back of the VW, which aren't there on the JW version. Those with the JW are complaining of overheating and even worse throttling issues than the VW. (For the record, I have the VW and have never had thermal issues).

Additionally, the JW uses the older Haswell processor architecture, while the VW uses the newer Skylake architecture.
    However, Skylake has had it's growing pains, so if you do go with the VW, make sure you download all of the updated drivers for Intel and nVidia. They have hot fix drivers available for the issues Skylake was having. I've been running these drivers for about 4 months now and have never had one issue.